people who sold at the bottom last year must be pissed.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by noob_trad3r, Jan 11, 2010.

1. The market is going to reverse tomorrow for sure. Want to know how I know this?

I've not been buying anything for the last 50 or so S+P points until today. I finally caved and figured I'd buy about $10 grand worth and sit on it, moving up the stop as it goes.

It'll be just my luck to see it reverse.

#21     Jan 11, 2010
  2. Why was "grandma" in equities if she was unable to accept and handle risk? Equities can and do move by a factor of two in short timespans -- it's happened many times in many places.

You're sure "grandma" didn't get caught with her hand in the cookie jar in 2007/8? In equities when her life circumstances suggested she should have held T-bills?

#22     Jan 11, 2010
  3. pitz

pitz

Ummm, but it would be completely irresponsible for "grandma" to go into all T-Bills, and if she's sat on the equities for the past 40-50 years, why would she take the capital gains hit, just because the market has a propensity to go up or down 20-30%.

Most 'grandmas' who have significant equities just live on the dividend income anyways, so they really are largely indifferent to the market price of the underlying stocks.

#23     Jan 11, 2010
  4. write some ITM calls on your long equity position quick tuesday morning before IV collapses :D :D

#24     Jan 11, 2010
  5. Ummm, then why was grandma shaken out at the low?... Maybe you and he are talking about different grandmas...

#25     Jan 11, 2010
  6. pitz

pitz

Good point, but even grandmas panic, or believe that everything is going to zero, because they lived during the great depression and might know of the Crash of 1929, or the 90% loss that ensued, where dividend income was not preserved.

It is very possible that dividend income won't be preserved this time around either.

#26     Jan 12, 2010
  7. spinn

spinn

being a mod on ET must pay well; or maybe its the money Blowinsky pays you to promote his systems but I have no idea how you guys can afford to eat.

futures down 63

#27     Jan 12, 2010
  8. Heh...

Being a mod pays zippo. Fortunately I have a full time corporate job with a CPG company.

Regardless, this 10 grand was just "Ok, fine!" money that I threw into a Scottrade account.

I've got way more in my BoA account that is hurting in SDS, DUG, and EDZ. All of this is a cash trade, incidentally. I don't use margin unless in Forex. That's where I play a lot of money.

$10k is just a hiccup.

#28     Jan 12, 2010
  9. +50% of the DOW is already owned by <5% of US population.

How much more do these fuckers need...

#29     Jan 12, 2010
  10. Probably 100% that way even regular joe cant gain wealth by dividends or appreciation.

#30     Jan 12, 2010