people who sold at the bottom last year must be pissed.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by noob_trad3r, Jan 11, 2010.

1. LVMises

LVMises

I know a few ladies (think grandma) who sold at the bottom. Frankly, it disgusts me. A fair competitive landscape is the essence of capitalism but unfortunately there are some who cheat and lie their way to fortune.

#11     Jan 11, 2010
  2. wave

wave

How to catch the IBD 100 stocks before they appear on the list? Very easy.

#12     Jan 11, 2010
  3. This is largely a US-specific situation.

The MSCI/Barra world-ex-US index started 1999 at 90.39; now it's 158.13. Agreed, not a spectacular return for a decade+ hold, but certainly not a disaster.

The disaster is the choices made by the US electorate in 2006 and 2008, and the resulting impact on wealth, job creation and the stock market.

#13     Jan 11, 2010
  4. good call on the upside...looks like the 1200 level is the crap out level.

#14     Jan 11, 2010
  5. that the best way in saving money. shop only when its on sale..

#15     Jan 11, 2010
  6. that's why the US stock market (and all stockmarkets) has lost all credibility. An entire generation has sworn off stocks.
    To the average folks the market must look like a big scam , the biggest fleecing of investors by Wall Street ever.

#16     Jan 11, 2010
  7. pitz

pitz

But what if they bought the Dow at 500 or 1000, back in the 60s and 70s? Is it such a bad thing that they sold at 7000, when they've collected their investment several times over in dividends?

Its a similar situation unfolding in housing. "Grandma", who bought a nice house in the 50s in California for $10k, doesn't mind seeing it go for $400k. But a $400k selling price essentially bankrupts the poor soul who paid $700k for the house next door, and did it all on credit.

#17     Jan 11, 2010
  8. This shit always happens.

I remember back in the 70s people talking the same story. Everyone was pretty much swearing to never touch stocks again and even the magazines had all kinds of stories on the subject.

Usually when Retail leaves en-masse, the smart money comes in and gets in on the ground floor. A massive wealth transfer from dumb money to smart money.

And down the line, the shit gets pumped up, dumb money will go back in for the slaughter and the whole thing will repeat.

This shit always happens, and in 15 years the dumb money will be rushing to buy stocks at over 30 P/E

Give it time. I have seen this before. Look at all the idiots buying stock that earned negative EPS in the dot com era on "Eye balls per website" metrics :)

#18     Jan 11, 2010
  9. wave

wave

Value Investing takes patience and time to reap payback. Done properly = handsome profits for those who controlled risk properly and had courage to buy when it said sell.

#19     Jan 11, 2010
  10. wave

wave

Your only risk is the stock goes to 0 and lights out. It's just a trade, loss, part of the game/business. Let's say 10% go to zero, you have 90% winners. How can you lose?

#20     Jan 11, 2010