People on Foodstamps - 46.3MM. Record.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Remember, going from bad to worse is still "change".

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/over-46-million-americans-foodstamps-first-time-ever

[​IMG]

2. pspr

pspr

It's a sign of the Obama Times. Although, of all handouts the giverment does, food and food stamps are by far the least evil of the bunch.

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Can't agree. Some folks with a SNAP card are huge abusers of it.

4. Odumbo's counting on the parasite class to help him get reelected so he can really "change" America:

For decades, Democrats have suffered continuous and increasingly severe losses among white voters. But preparations by Democratic operatives for the 2012 election make it clear for the first time that the party will explicitly abandon the white working class.

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/the-future-of-the-obama-coalition/

5. Ricter

Ricter

Yeah, Obama, why did you cause the Great Recession??

6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I'm not sure what to think about foodstamps.

Here in s.cal I am occasionally the only one in the grocery store checkout line that is paying for his groceries with real money. Not at the Trader Joe's or Bristol Farms but at Albertsons.

I remember particularly a hispanic couple in front of me that looked well dressed and I had seen them get out of an Acura in the parking lot. Among the items they were buying was a bunch of shrimp cocktails and a 12-pack of Redbull. They used a plastic debit card that california issues for food assistance.

The conflict is that most of me thinks that *nobody* should go hungry in the USA and particularly not children or elderly people. Another part of me doesn't want to pay for shrimp cocktail and Redbull for people that are clearly middle class.

I'm glad there is food assistance available but what happens when everyone is receiving it and they're just using it to buy shrimp cocktail?

7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Don't be a dunce, Ricter. We all know he didn't cause it. But he was elected on promises he would change what caused it. He was elected on a promise to make things better.

How's that turning out?

8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Exactly! +1

9. pspr

pspr

I won't argue with you on abuse. That needs to be stopped somehow. What I'm saying is that I don't find fault with giving people food even if it comes from the government.

Ohms is right, though. The abuse by some really can make one angry even though you don't want anyone to go hungry. In some ways the program is broken but we've got to fix it, not end it.

10. Ricter

Ricter

Things are getting better, and certainly things have changed. But if there's no progress being made on lowering the stratification (and its attendant meanness and fear) of this society, no progress being made on regulating banks and Wall Street, whose fault is that? I mean, you want Obama to fail at those things, right?

#10     Dec 5, 2011