People Begin Living Without Electricity and Water in California

Discussion in 'Economics' started by hippie, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Many of these people may not have the means to move.

#11     Feb 1, 2011
  2. Roark

Roark

Don't they have legs? Can't they walk over to a freeway entrance ramp and stick out a thumb with one hand and hold up a cardboard sign in the other that says "Texas or Bust"? Most of them probably still have cars and don't need to hitch hike.

#12     Feb 1, 2011
  3. Freedom is priceless. Better be homeless & free like this guy instead of working for KFC or Mac and not making ends meet:
    http://guide2homelessness.blogspot.com/2004/10/advantages-of-homelessness.html

"The freedom is awesome. It is also somewhat daunting. It is hard to be prepared for so much time on your hands. In a strange way I felt a kinship with prisoners. The time can draw out and overwhelm you, so don't be surprised by this experience. Depression can sometimes attend this amazing freedom. In the end, the freedom to do as you please is addictive. "

I guess the trip is how to live in sustainable homeless way w/o it becoming misery.

#13     Feb 1, 2011
  4. Roark

Roark

That's a pretty funny blog entry. The author writes:

<blockquote>My expenses, excluding food, averaged $300 per month for the five years I was homeless. That included storage, mailbox, telephone or pager, gasoline, vehicle insurance, health club membership, dry cleaning, laundry, new clothes, and entertainment. I went to the movies a lot. Imagine what you could do with the time if your work week was two days and your weekend was five.

I went to museums, libraries, volunteered, went to concerts, went to college, watched trials at the local courthouse, spent time with friends, played chess, practiced yoga, read, went to movies, and spent time just thinking. </blockquote>

Dry cleaning? Why does a homeless person need dry cleaning? Watching trials? He must have been insanely bored.

#14     Feb 1, 2011
  5. I am puzzled by the dry cleaning too, unless he was applying for work. Since he didn't have Court TV, he watched trials at the local courthouse.

#15     Feb 1, 2011
  6. The person may be in a desert area - very hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Also they may have an electric stove that is not energy efficient.

#16     Feb 1, 2011
  7. he owed $1700 in water bills and just NOW they're shutting it off? that's like 2 years of delinquency. god what's up with all these deadbeats? sounds like the tenants i used to have.

if I ran the water company i would have shut off his water by the time he owed $200. send the collection agency after him please.

#17     Feb 1, 2011

8. I watch the video. The guy in the video has been jobless for 3 years. He may be an older worker. No job here for some folks.

If you are over 50, your chance of making it as trader may be better than finding a semi-decent job here. Applying for work is liking buying a lottery ticket, no much chance of making a real win if you are over 50.

#18     Feb 1, 2011
  9. Put all your money in some penny stock miners, get on your knees and pray.

#19     Feb 1, 2011
  10. #20     Feb 1, 2011