People Begin Living Without Electricity and Water in California

Discussion in 'Economics' started by hippie, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Roark

Roark

Sounds like Mexico. If you're going to live w/o electricity, California is the place to be since the weather is pretty mild year round. House prices are still way too high in California compared to other states where there have been massive foreclosures.

2. Domino effect.

Electric costs are at an all time high: Avg $300 / month
    Municipal Water and sewage has gone up from less that $0.01 a gallon to almost $0.05 in certain areas.

If they are in foreclosure their likely not paying any of their bills except maybe their wireless phone service.

Counties lose property tax revenue which impacts schools, police etc.
    Cable Provider loses their $100 / month
    Electric Provider loses $300 / month
    Water provider loses $60 / month
    Home Owners Insurance loses $100 / month
    Lawn Care provider loses $100 / month
    Waste Management loses $50 / month
    Mortgager loses $2000 / month
    HOA loses $100 / month.

These losses of revenue are not recoverable and accumulate for 20 months on average during the court process.

Municipalities have already spent these funds by issuing bonds which is another crisis.

If I were in the home owners shoes I would drag this out as long as possible because every month they avoid making any payments is the equivalent of an equity distribution from the property. $3k x 20 months = $60K in savings albeit your living life like a mole.

3. Roark

Roark

I think I would move and try to make a new start of it somewhere else. Head for an area where the economy is stronger, say either Texas or Washington, DC and try to start clean. Living like a mole in your foreclosed home is a bit like hanging onto a loser stock trying to get back to even. Jettison the losers and it frees ones mind to start thinking about new future opportunities rather than past losses.

4. My power went out 2 or 3 times today in Northern CA. First time that has happened in a while.

My electric isnt that high. $57 only. In the summer it runs no higher than $110 and I run the aircon 24/7. But maybe some of the less energy efficient houses run more, but they must be over 2500 sq ft and all electric to come close to $300 per month.

5. What are the per-kWH charges down there? Here, we're around $0.08, and our monthly bill averages ~$80.

6. around where i live it depends on your usage. there are four tiers lowest ~12 cents, the highest ~45 cents. you get first ~600KWh/month @ 12 cents

7. Interesting. That is *much* more expensive than our locale. We're at $0.067 for the first tier of usage, $0.085 for the second. Typical household split is roughly 50/50.

Those rates are very high. And have inspired me to write a letter to my elected representative supporting building of another giant hydro dam.

8. Eight

Eight

In Southern California you don't really need a house that much, considering the weather and all. Get a commercial post office box for an address and a cell phone and you are good to go... I've known so many people that lived in their cars.. one guy had a big car and he could sleep in the trunk, some live in campers... I met a woman last year, she was supposedly hiding from some crazy boyfriend or some bulls%^t story like that, she stopped drinking liquid about noon so she could lock herself in her car all night, she parked it at campgrounds in some very picturesque places.. she asserted that she had a magnificent view and it all didn't cost much and she was one wild and free woman.. pretty crazy but wild and free... I hang out at a coffee shop that allows people to live in their cars on the parking lot, they don't advertise it but they are fine with it.. and they open at 6am, you can wake up and have your coffee and some krappy hot sandwich if you are really hungry... the people that work there might be homeless for all I know, they seem to have a little campground in the back of the place... freedom is way, way better than whatever is in second place, guarantee you that...

9. Roark

Roark

There are plenty of people out there willing to trade their freedom for a dole. That is one of the reasons why entitlements are such a huge problem.

#10     Feb 1, 2011