"People are smart" - Ridiculous Ditech slogan

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rearden Metal, Jul 21, 2007.

1. OK, I have a theory on the reasoning behind Ditech's (General Motors' mortgage arm) new ridiculous advertising slogan; "People are Smart". I'll come back here later to share the theory, but first I'd like to see if anyone else came to the same conclusion as I did.

So, why do YOU think Ditech chose that particular slogan?

2. dumb people will perk up more when they hear praise like a pet dog and think hmmm
    ditech insurance is a nice company (with the praise on his mind)
    Maybe I'll use it! :D

3. I've never heard of Ditech in my life, maybe their marketing managers are smart.

4. "People are smart" is the second half of the slogan.

"I'm right and you're smart"

5. hcour

hcour Guest

Obviously the implication is that if you're smart you'll use Ditech. (Also implying if you don't use Ditech, you're a dummy.)

H

6. Well, id like to hear this theory...

Seriously, "People are stoopid, give us your cash and buy our rubbish" would be just as successful im sure.

7. Good Times.
    Any time you meet a payment. - Good Times.
    Any time you need a friend. - Good Times.
    Any time you’re out from under.
    Not getting hassled, not getting hustled.
    Keepin’ your head above water,
    Making a wave when you can.

Temporary lay offs. - Good Times.
    Easy credit rip offs. - Good Times.
    Scratchin’ and surviving. - Good Times.
    Hangin in a chow line - Good Times.
    Ain’t we lucky we got ‘em - Good Times

8. Coolweb came the closest.

Generally speaking, intelligent people think that most other people are stupid (and they really are, by comparison).
    Dumb people think that 'people are smart' (and they really are, by comparison).

So according to my theory, the top suits at Ditech realized that their mortgage terms were so uncompetitive, only a dumbass would sign one of their contracts. They also found that dealing with intelligent potential clients is mostly a waste of Ditech's time, as the smart potential client usually realizes it's a bad deal, and goes away to shop elsewhere.

Therefore, the slogan 'people are smart' is a way to filter out smarter potential clients (who find the slogan absurd), while bringing in dumber potential clients (who readily agree with the slogan). Does that make sense?

9. Makes sense to me. I guess some people enjoy being spoken down to as long as it's in a nice manner.

As far as ridiculous ads go it's still doesn't compare with that UBS ad. ..... "UBS, you AND us." Talk about an ad directly marketed to imbeciles. Every time I hear that I can't help but think to myself 'Yeah right You and Us, but mostly YOU.'

10. Here is a chop shop slogan...

We'll take our experience and your money and turn it into your experience and our money.

#10     Jul 22, 2007