Pentium 4 800FSB is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by howardy2k, Aug 24, 2003.

1. just bought a Dell 2.4P, 800 FSB, 400 ram (512), CD-rom, CD-RW... GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR card

$684, incl shipping. Maybe they got some left.

Now I need some monitors.

ICe
    :cool:

#11     Aug 25, 2003
  2. maxpi

maxpi

That's what I did a few months ago, never regretted it for a minute. Intel Mobo, fast front side bus, bigger harddrive than I will ever use, more than adequate RAM, etc. Gives me just one less thing to think about.

#12     Aug 25, 2003
  3. nitro

nitro

I do not believe the Xeons have made it to the 800Mhz FSB yet, and certainly AFAIK no dual MOBO Xeon 800 FSB exist.

The new Opterons fascinate me. I usually go and splurge once every two and a half years or so. However, I do not believe they have a dual Opterons mobo out yet.

The new G5 dual Macs are also screeming...too bad very little financial software runs on them.

The last possibility is to go for the Quad CPU motherboard...

nitro

#13     Aug 25, 2003
  4. Hydrogen

Hydrogen

Running AMD 1.1 Ghz with 128 Mhz fsb, 640K SDRAM, Win XP. Runs like a champ!

#14     Aug 25, 2003
  5. trendy

trendy

When its showing 100% usage, what program(s) are using the highest %? You could have a virus causing an unwanted program to run, or I have seen personally esignal's winsig.exe program using a huge chunk of CPU. I deleted esignal and re-downloaded, and resolved the problem.

#15     Aug 25, 2003
  6. mktman

mktman

These great deals for $699 $799 or therabouts must be few and far between. Watch Dell's website all the time and never catch these.

:mad:

Just my luck.

Are they like cheap airline tickets; only have afew of these units to draw you in?

mktman

#16     Aug 25, 2003
  7. edil

edil

I caught a cheap deal from Dell here: http://www.gotapex.com/deals.php

#17     Aug 25, 2003
  8. I went and bought up all the refurbished P4's they had, do you want one?

Bid $799 Ask $829 Trade $829

BTW, that is $29.95 R/T per

#18     Aug 25, 2003
  9. Funny, you didn't say this Feb 1 http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=196744#post196744 about how the Opterons "fascinate" you. As for the "screaming" Macs this is from AMDzone Michael Slater let me know that PowerMac G5 Cinebench 2003 numbers for the dual 2GHz and single 1.6GHz model have been posted. They use the rendering tests and show the dual 2GHz G5 taking 66 seconds, and the 1.6GHz single CPU G5 158 seconds. The Opteron at 2.2GHz Cas 2.5 memory takes 85 seconds, and at 2GHz Cas 2.5 the time is 94 seconds. So with two Opterons the time should be almost exactly half of what you see here putting a dual 2.2 Opteron box at 42-43 seconds, and the dual 2GHz at 47 seconds. So we are looking at a pretty raw CPU power test that clock per clock places Opteron roughly 33% faster. So reality seems to be as I had expected. Jobs is lying completely about G5 performance. Update: Ok, some Mac cultist like to point out that Cinebench hasn't been optimized for PowerPC 970 64 bit. Guess what guys, it hasn't for Opteron's 64 bit either, and you can't even get a 64 bit OS for Apple anyway. IT and technical knowledge among Mac zealots is at an all time low. Will it ever recover? Unlikely. Can Apple beat Linux on the desktop? Nope. Has the PowerPC 970 standing been hurt by Job's hype? Yes.

#19     Aug 25, 2003
  10. nitro

nitro

AMD's have ALWAYS fascinated me. But I am not who they would want to fascinate.

If you look back at the link to thread you posted, the discussion surrounded whether the AMDs would penetrate the business sector.

Look at the AMD website - their own flash scripts depict amazing games as their way of promoting the speed of the AMDS. Even your MAC vs Opteron comparison shows what the target of these things are:The desktop for movie makers, graphic design artists, etc.

As far as your MAC vs Opteron comparison goes, if you have ever studied benchmarks you know full well that although benchmarks measure _something_, that does not necessarily translate to a better running machine in the "real world."

Inspite of all that I have said, I think AMD has outdone itself with these CPUs, and I am hopeful that serious businesses start to gain the confidence to use them in the server space. With their partnership with IBM, that goal may just happen...

nitro

#20     Aug 25, 2003