Penson - What's this all about?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by jackpearson, May 21, 2012.

1. The vultures are circling....who gets the equity clearing??

#51     May 30, 2012
  2. high99

high99

Whomever pays the most money. And whomever pays the biggest kickback.

#52     May 30, 2012
  3. More likely, as in the case of so many prop trading firms... we just let the traders decide where to go.

There is really nothing to "buy" - just people that need a new home.

I have no horse in this race, regarding clearing,since we don't self clear, we clear with Goldman of course.

That being said, again, it's the traders simply looking for a new home that I am concerned with.

I hope they (the traders) take it upon themselves long before this turns into yet another big mess for the industry.

Don

#53     May 30, 2012
  4. Don,

How do you see the Penson issue being resolved? cleanly via a purchase by another entity? or messy such as SIPC? or, do you think Penson will continue forward with the equity clearing.

Thanks & I've enjoyed your posts over the years on ET. Thanks for taking your time posting here.

#54     May 30, 2012
  5. Occam

Occam

I certainly wouldn't call it a happy ending, as Knight is primarily a trading firm, and one that relies on sneaky tactics (e.g. payment-for-order-flow deals for retail orders) to make much of its income.

So if you're a short-term trader, Knight has the potential to be your competitor (and one with huge informational advantages), as well as your broker. Not a situation I'd be too happy about. :eek:

#55     May 31, 2012
  6. zdreg

zdreg

it will be a sad day if penson disappears. penson makes it possible for many small firms to exist. without it the industry will become more concentrated and the barrier to entry will rise significantly. it will be a bane to small investors and to small props

#56     May 31, 2012
  7. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

8. #58     May 31, 2012
  9. high99

high99

Knight is not my broker. MB Trading is my broker. ES, YM, etc. are traded electronically via CME and CBOT. Knight is picking up the clearing for Futures. Penson will continue to clear for stocks. As of now.

#59     May 31, 2012
  10. high99

high99

Update. Looks like they have spun that off as well. APEX is the newly formed company for clearing stocks. Things move fast.

#60     May 31, 2012