Penson (PNSN) stock down on heavy volume

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by m22au, May 12, 2011.

1. mktman

mktman

So if they go under or bough out then what happens to those firms that use them for clearing?

#41     May 13, 2011
  2. If they fail, and they won't for a while, but they are so stupid, someday they will, you are covered up to SIPC levels and whatever insurance extras they have.

Two things happen. SIPC will try and sell the business, which would be good, because you could liquidate and get money rather quickly. But, if SIPC has to come in and allocate the positions, you could be frozen for quite a while. I don't think, in this environment, that is going to happen. Spoke to a guy yesterday who owns a clearing firm, and he'd want to buy them if the price was right.

I think you have to be cognizant the management is lousy, that it's a bad time and anything could happen at any time. But this situation was not a total surprise. They've done stupid stuff for years. What's going to hurt is the Correspondent firms. If the news gets bad, a lot of retail will transfer out. I would think that Penson is taking steps to shore up capital. But, naked shorts will come in and bash the stock, so forget about using equity. I'm wondering if the FINRA rule changes are going to slow down raids. I've seen a few over the past thirty years. There is NO mercy.

#42     May 14, 2011
  3. zdreg

zdreg

\
    " But this situation was not a total surprise. They've done stupid stuff for years. "
    have u been short for years? if not why not?

#43     May 14, 2011
  4. http://www.sipc.org/pdf/SIPC_dt.PDF

MJK failure and analysis. Notice the Amazon short. It was a big Elgindy target in 2000, 2001. So, those people who tell you naked shorting provide some service are full of shit. It is a subjugation of free markets. They impose their will on the natural order of things, but I digress.

MJK was liquidated. You might search for a buyout, and it will give you a clue of what could happen. I 'm not forensic securities analysis. But I think Penson lasts a while longer. If the same pinheads stay in charge and climb in bed with scumbags, the aforementioned natural order of things will eventually lead them to their demise. Sorta like Congress and the US, if you know what I mean.

#44     May 14, 2011
  5. I knew guys short taht stock a week before the news, knowing there was a problem How can you and I compete with that? I don't bother trying. I'm not willing to prostitute myself for money. Never have been.

#45     May 14, 2011
  6. zdreg

zdreg

"I knew guys short taht stock a week before the news, knowing there was a problem How can you and I compete with that? I don't bother trying. I'm not willing to prostitute myself for money. Never have been."

"I think you have to be cognizant the management is lousy, that it's a bad time and anything could happen at any time. But this situation was not a total surprise. They've done stupid stuff for years"

flytiger
    ______

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=...=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

you could have been short a long time ago without knowledge of announcements and made good money. the only privy info was when the announcement was going to be made.

#46     May 14, 2011
  7. The head of Penson & other top insiders bought a lot of stock yesterday. Check out the SEC filings from just before the market close yesterday. They're putting their own money where their mouth is when they say the company's viability won't be effected even with a total loss taken on those bonds.

#47     May 14, 2011
  8. And I could have been born a girl. In both instances, it wasn't the case.

#48     May 14, 2011

9. Well, i will tell you how much that is worth -- just about nothing.

I remember well when I bought Wachovia, and lots of it, when their CEO stepped up to the plate and bought $16MM of his own stock

http://www2.journalnow.com/business...-ceo-buys-16m-worth-of-banks-stock-ar-107692/

And you know how that ended....in the crapper. To this day i don't understand how the man just threw away that much money, but its a good example of where insider buying can lead to inaccurate conclusions.

#49     May 14, 2011
  10. zdreg

zdreg

thanks for a very insightful post. it is not quite a black swan event on ET but unusual nevertheless.

#50     May 14, 2011