penalties are not taxes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mav88, Jun 29, 2012.

1. What a wonderful story about you cutting your grass as an analogy to the health care ruling. I can't wait for the one where you paint your house as an analogy to illegal aliens.

#11     Jun 29, 2012
  2. Mav88

Mav88

Ricter and Piezoe used storm windows, the chief justice himself used gasoline and cigarette taxes. My analogy is actually more proper since it punishes inaction.

thanks for the dumb comment, great example of a self assured liberal whose brain is shut down by their religion. It helps to have examples.

#12     Jun 30, 2012
  3. Mav88

Mav88

Robert, good stuff...

I have some specific comments, but I'll also say that Roberts seemed to forget about legislative intent. When confronted with a 'mirror image tax' he should have looked at legislative intent. Instead he just made things up so he could pass it.

It's worse than that. Ginsberg's majority dissent also disagrees with Roberts. That's quite staggering, he acting alone concocted this argument because in his words "when a court confronts an unconstitutional statue its endeavor must be to conserve, not destroy, the legislation.

Sin taxes are attempts at behavior modification, but Roberts' argument uses fallacy of the excluded middle, I can avoid cigarette taxes by not smoking. Roberts also makes the arbitrary assumption that mandates are determined by the severity of the financial penalty, a fact you point out. This is not logical, even the storm window folks would agree with that.

If we can tax them, why not just bill them when they use the ER? are we also gonna pretend that they can afford the taxes? guess who is going to end up paying.

I disagree with the scholar part, he hasn't written anything scholarly, which is how you would define such a person. Of course they knew, but recall his campaign promise not to raise taxes on the middle class. Democrats had to deceive the american people in order to do this, and even then they had to do it with reconciliation.

So you fall into the Roberts is right camp by the looks of it. I ask the following question then, by Robert's own theory a tax that get too high turns into a mandate. Where is the boundary? Some folks around here want 90% marginal income tax.

#13     Jun 30, 2012
  4. Ask Krugman.

#14     Jun 30, 2012
  5. Ricter

Ricter

Not sure who brought up storm windows (re tax incentives) but it wasn't me.

#15     Jun 30, 2012
  6. No religion here Opie, atheist and part time malcontent.
    You're the one with your brain shut down. I'm the one who can see both sides to this issue.
    It was a close decision because both sides do have good arguments.

#16     Jun 30, 2012
  7. What are both sides?

#17     Jun 30, 2012
  8. [​IMG]

#18     Jun 30, 2012
  9. Mav88

Mav88

you didn't initially bring it up, but you followed on piezoe's point but arguing something like storm window deductions were good because they made us stronger, or something like that.

#19     Jun 30, 2012
  10. Mav88

Mav88

You subscribe to the leftist religion, impulsively you mock anything that opposses it. You just proved it, there are actually 3 distinct 'sides' that I have been discussing. A black and white religious thinker always has 2 sides: us and them.

#20     Jun 30, 2012