Pelosi pissed at republicans for opting out of rebuttal to Obozo's speech.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., Sep 7, 2011.

1. Max E.

Max E.

Any time you can get Pelosi worked up, you know you are doing something right.

Republicans have decided they're not going to give a rebuttal to President Obama's jobs speech later this week, a decision House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi took as a high affront to the White House.

At least three GOP lawmakers also have announced they're not going to show up for the presidential address. House Speaker John Boehner's office then confirmed Tuesday evening that nobody from the party would deliver an official televised response.

Pelosi said the party's "silence" would "speak volumes about their lack of commitment to creating jobs."

"The Republicans' refusal to respond to the president's proposal on jobs is not only disrespectful to him, but to the American people," Pelosi said.

But Boehner spokesman Mike Steel said Obama's proposals on Thursday "will rise or fall on their own merits," suggesting a GOP response was not needed.

"Republicans are, and have been, entirely focused on job creation. Every member of Congress, and -- more importantly -- the American people, will provide a reaction to the president's address," Steel said.

Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., said there will be "plenty" of response to the president's speech on Friday, but told Fox News he suspects the reason there's no formal response is "the speaker doesn't expect to hear much to respond to."

Some members of Congress, though, won't be there when Obama delivers his address to a Joint Session of Congress.

Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., has said he doesn't think he'll attend -- he told Fox News he's "sick and tired of speeches." Rep. Joe Walsh, R-Ill., also said he'd skip, writing on his Twitter page that he has no interest in being a "prop" for Obama's speech. Rep. Paul Broun, R-Ga., will not attend either, opting instead to hold a Twitter town hall while the president speaks.

Dana Perino, former press secretary for George W. Bush, said the lawmakers should attend the session because "you're an elected leader, and it's quite a privilege to be able to be there."

As for a GOP rebuttal, Perino said there is a downside to it in that it always makes the opposition look small in comparison to the president.

"This is not a State of the Union address, but still tradition would say there should be a rebuttal. I don't think it's necessary, the game is starting," Perino said, referring to the first game of the NFL season, which immediately follows the president's speech.

Perino said congressional leaders have opened Statuary Hall in the Capitol to allow any member of Congress to talk to the media.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...bama-speech-ticking-off-pelosi/#ixzz1XHLxX4xW

2. pspr

pspr

Good. Maybe she'll have a stroke. :)

3. Nothing new will be stated. Just more of the same cowardly finger pointing.

4. Salon reported, via Don Surber:

"No one, not even the president’s defenders, expect his coming jobs speech to mean anything. When the president spoke during a recent market swoon, the market dropped another 100 points. Democrats may soon have to confront an uncomfortable truth, and ask whether Obama is a suitable choice at the top of the ticket in 2012. They may then have to ask themselves if there’s any way they can push him off the top of the ticket."

Lol.

5. :D :D :D

6. Ricter

Ricter

BS. I hear nothing from republicans but supply-side nonsense, and I hear nothing from my peers in business about how taxes and regulations are hurting their bottom line--it is 95% about sales. The other 5% is staffing.

7. Max E.

Max E.

What we really need is another stimulus plan, they told us last time it was supposed to go to infrastructure, but whoops, they accidentally rolled through that 900 billion with most of it going to their special interests, im sure if we give them another 900 billion to blow this time they will be responsible with it.

8. Ricter

Ricter

Fair enough. I don't know how to "git er done", either. You have to supervise power every friggin step of the way or they'll steal/legislate/delay/obfuscate every chance they get.

9. Max E.

Max E.

In my opinion what we need to do is guided tax cuts. Meaning we give tax credits to companies, which will cover new employees entire wage based on net job creation.

So if a company creates 40,000 new jobs, give them a tax credit for the entire cost of those employees wages, up to a certain amount. Like 40k-50k per employee. The biggest problem we have right now in competing with places like China is the cost of labour, so why not make labour free in the U.S. for a couple years.

There are lots of companies out there who would expand if they got free labour costs for a few years, and the demand would catch up eventually when people start getting back to work.

I dont get why the Republicans dont come out and do this, it is clear in this kind of environment that you have to put some kind of rules on the tax cuts in order to make businesses want to invest instead of holding on to the cash.

Its such a simple idea, and it would get the support of both sides in my opinion. Crunching the numbers 1,000,000 new jobs at 40k per job would only cost 40billion.

10. cstfx

cstfx

Well, I am still pissed at Pelosi for telling us we needed to pass a health care bill to find out what was in it when she promised there wouldn't be such subterfuge in this new age of Washington politics.

#10     Sep 7, 2011