Pelosi: Gingrich Will Never Be President

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Jan 24, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

Know who Newt Gingrich is:

......Here at home, we (Reagan Administration) faced vicious criticism from leading Democrats — Ted Kennedy, Christopher Dodd, Jim Wright, Tip O’Neill, and many more — who used every trick in the book to stop Reagan by denying authorities and funds to these efforts.

On whom did we rely up on Capitol Hill? There were many stalwarts: Henry Hyde, elected in 1974; Dick Cheney, elected in 1978, the same year as Gingrich; Dan Burton and Connie Mack, elected in 1982; and Tom DeLay, elected in 1984, were among the leaders.

But not Newt Gingrich. He voted with the caucus, but his words should be remembered, for at the height of the bitter struggle with the Democratic leadership Gingrich chose to attack . . . Reagan.

The best examples come from a famous floor statement Gingrich made on March 21, 1986. This was right in the middle of the fight over funding for the Nicaraguan contras; the money had been cut off by Congress in 1985, though Reagan got $100 million for this cause in 1986.

Here is Gingrich: “Measured against the scale and momentum of the Soviet empire’s challenge, the Reagan administration has failed, is failing, and without a dramatic change in strategy will continue to fail. . . . President Reagan is clearly failing.” Why? This was due partly to “his administration’s weak policies, which are inadequate and will ultimately fail”; partly to CIA, State, and Defense, which “have no strategies to defeat the empire.” But of course “the burden of this failure frankly must be placed first on President Reagan.” Our efforts against the Communists in the Third World were “pathetically incompetent,” so those anti-Communist members of Congress who questioned the $100 million Reagan sought for the Nicaraguan “contra” rebels “are fundamentally right.”

Such was Gingrich’s faith in President Reagan that in 1985, he called Reagan’s meeting with Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev “the most dangerous summit for the West since Adolf Hitler met with Neville Chamberlain in 1938 in Munich.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/289159/gingrich-and-reagan-elliott-abrams

#21     Jan 25, 2012
  2. A lot of good historical info on the Rep's current guy, Newt. Thanks.

c

#22     Jan 25, 2012
  3. Epic

Epic

In the interests of full disclosure, Pelosi today denied that she had any "new" information on Newt, suggesting that her comments were regarding information that is already public.

Like I said before. I immediately assumed she was exaggerating, so I didn't take her all that seriously at first. Typical partisan boasting, I thought. Until I heard Newt's response. It doesn't really matter what she says now. I don't have to believe her words, Newt already threw up a huge red flag in his thoughtless response.

#23     Jan 25, 2012
  4. pspr

pspr

The sole mention of Newt in the Reagan Dairies.

"Newt Gingrich has a proposal for freezing the budget at the 1983 level. It's a tempting idea except that it would cripple our defense programs. And if we make an exception on that every special interest group will be asking for the same."

#24     Jan 25, 2012
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_n...er-says-he-doesnt-expect-to-serve-second-term

Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner suggested Wednesday that he's highly unlikely to stay in the Obama administration for a possible second term.

Geithner said that he would not expect President Obama to ask him to stay on for a second, four-year stint should Obama win re-election. And even if he were to ask, Geithner said he had planned on pursuing "something else."

"He's not going to ask me to stay on, I'm pretty confident," Geithner said...

At least we got this going for us.

#25     Jan 25, 2012
  6. pspr

pspr

Geitner won't be around after Obama loses anyway. Can't he leave now?

#26     Jan 25, 2012
  7. piezoe

piezoe

Quote from Newt Gingrich

...the prospect of a Gingrich presidency is really sort of like a nightmare," Mr. Gingrich added."

This quote is from a knowledgeable enough source to be taken seriously.

:D

#27     Jan 25, 2012

8. . :D .

#28     Jan 26, 2012
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Congratulations on taking the quote completely and totally out of context. What he said was "For the Republican establishment, the prospect of a Gingrich presidency is really sort of like a nightmare,"

#29     Jan 26, 2012
  10. Max E.

Max E.

Romer, Summers, Goolsbee, and now Geithner.

The final straw in Obamas economic team, every single one of them has now quit, the rats are abandoning the sinking ship. :D

#30     Jan 26, 2012