Peils Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by peilthetraveler, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Wow...today...i dont know how i came back. Ok first off opening orders. 10...yes 10 fills!!! A mistake on my part that just happened to turn in my favor. I was sending out my buys and sells and i guess i accidently sent my buys twice. Also when i sent my sells I kept getting the message that i was 1 cent below the bid...i figured i would change it manually since i only have about 15 stocks....thats when i noticed all the extra buys. I didnt want to get filled on twice as many orders so i started canceling the extra buys...the market opened right as I finished the buys so i never got to moving the penny on the sells...10 fills and they all went against me right away....i started covering the biggest losers first then the stocks started going my way....I had 6 winners and 4 losers.
    Trading 1500 shares.

BJS -8
    XOM -195
    BA -135
    JWN -150

GE +105
    AXP +180
    ADI + 225
    MBI +261
    TXN +315
    APA +309

Traded VLO and LEH then...I was in the hole for almost 3k again for VLO trading 2500 shares. Kept getting a signal that it was going to go down and finally did...Once i got a bit of profit i didnt want to press my luck. I only traded 500 shares.

VLO +141
    LEH +25

Gross profit for today $997 Net profit $538 Too much commission from opening orders :(

Oh forgot to mention...net loss yesterday was exactly $2,333.20 for those that were interested.

#41     Dec 8, 2005
  2. SON OF A BEE!!! Opening orders....Gonna have to talk to Don about this as i dont know why i got filled today for 10 shorts. Anyway...They hammered me....at 1500 shares they all jumped up...3 came back for minimal gains and the other 7....well i will let the numbers speak for themselves.

ADI -435
    MBI -635
    DIS -135
    AXP -195
    BAC -135
    JWN -285
    MO -481

AIG +18
    GE +60
    TXN +180

So with commissions Im down $2,343 right from the get-go (I'll get a little bit of a rebate at the end of the month but im not counting that yet.)

Now for the good news...I traded VLO & COP Traded 1000 shares in COP and between 1500 & 2500 in VLO.

COP +$50
    VLO +$3,060 (thats right 3K+ its not a typo) :D

After commissions today my net profit is $530

#42     Dec 9, 2005
  3. ack...i did so well in VLO thought i would go back and trade it some more...lost 71 dollars and generated another 62 in commissions and a bit more in SEC fees....So now im only up +390 or so for the day :( I would do better not to trade after 10am.

#43     Dec 9, 2005
  4. Rotten day today. Shouldve quit after opening orders

Openings
    DIS -45
    GE -45
    BJS -46
    XOM -30

MRK +150
    BA +315
    AXP +105
    JWN +90
    APA +286

After i traded VLO...couldnt get ahead in it

Traded GS LEH COP just cause i got a few good signals

GS +371
    COP +405
    LEH +1,010

Gross loss for today was 966....after commissions & SEC fees I am down 1800 :(

My VLO play today was based on Using the index as a reference...Figuring that since VLO was trading at more than twice the index gain I should short it....damn thing wouldnt stop going up After being down as much as 5200...was able to pick up 1700 near close. Traded the most shares since i started....72000 for one day.

Oh and the kicker for today is.....if i held ALL my opening orders a few minutes longer I wouldve picked up 20 cents each in all of them for an extra $2700. Got scared and just wanted to take my profit though. The day i lost 2k on opening orders i found out if i held them longer they wouldve been profitable....hmm maybe if my opening start off bad i should just hold them? Anyway...VLO is not going to be traded anymore as of next week.

Another note to myself...i seem to have trouble cutting losses short. Like when i am long a stock and it goes against me i think...would i short the stock right now? if i say no...then i end up holding on to the stock. It seems to work alot of the time...didnt work today...I had 1 or 2 panic buys and sells. At one point i did cover half my losses in VLO...but when it went up 20 cents i thought i would short those shares again since it looked like it was going to change directions...(it didnt)...so anyway....after today....all these days i've been trading VLO...im up about 48 dollars in it lol

Im also trying to tell myself that VLO was a fluke today. It doesnt normally act like that and if i just stick to my strategy I will have more winners than losers.

#44     Dec 12, 2005
  5. Seriously bad day today. So bad I dont know what to do. I think im definately taking a break from trading though. I lost over $6600 today. That brings my account to about 15,600. Im definately changing my share size now. Im going back down to 1000 shares...maybe 500.... I was messing around with 3000 shares today and I just couldnt control my emotions. SLB was the big loser for today...-3500...i just couldnt get out...when i could get out it looked like it was coming back. I had about 4 stocks i lost 800 in. Any stocks i did make money in just paid for my commission & sec fees today which came out to almost 1k.

#45     Dec 13, 2005
  6. Peil,
    That doesn't sound too healthy

but oh well, It is part of the learning process

This will be one of your best lessons,

live and learn, lose big while your account is small so when your account is big, you won't lose as big :)

Just another trading school day. Although tuition for today was a bit higher hehe

#46     Dec 13, 2005
  7. Just to make the day a little worse today...I drove across town to buy some things and i kid you not i was stuck in traffic for 5 hours! 5 hours!!! So help me God, 5 hours!!! I mean...from my house (outskirts of phoenix) i can get to Las Vegas in 4 1/2 hours!!! And i spent 5 hours in traffic in phoenix! ARRGGHH When i got to what shouldve been 10 minutes away from my house...I hit every red light...every freakin' one and there were like 15 of them. So anyway...I think i've decided on going to down to 500 shares tommorrow...going to see if i can make $250 a day (50 cents), until my account is back to 25k Maybe if i stop trying to go for 2000 dollars days (which i have never hit yet) I might not do crazy jack ass stuff.

I hope this is going to be one of those days i can look back at in the future and laugh at.

#47     Dec 13, 2005
  8. Trading openings this morning at 1000 shares....I think im going to quit openings because it seems like i pretty much break even but generate lots of commissions....I think i can do better if i just pick the stocks myself. Shares traded today was 25000. Way more than i wanted to...wanted to keep under 6k shares but openings alone generated more than double that.

Gross profit today was +380...after commissions and sec fees...$98.

Didnt quite meet my profit goal but i was in the hole most of the day because of XOM where i was down 350 in it and mrk where i lost 140.

I should say that although i was trading 500 shares today, i cheated in VLO and bought another 500...when the stock went down i bought another 500 only because indicators said it was going to go up. when it did I covered the first 500 when i was even...then covered the other 1000 shares after about 200 or 300 of profit. Of course the stock went up another 40 cents but oh well. Im determine to build my account back 1 penny at a time :)

#48     Dec 14, 2005
  9. VLO +448
    GS +220

Commissions and SEC fees on only 5k shares today :) $63 woot :)

Profit for today

+605

Wow without opening orders my commissions were way down. Although tommorrow might be one of those big days in openings so im going to try it tommorrow....if i lose or break even then thats the last time i do openings.

#49     Dec 15, 2005
  10. Forgot to mention....although i traded 5000 shares i was only trading in 500 share increments...never held more than 1000 shares at once.

This is just so i dont look back on this and think i was still trading 1500 or 2000 shares.

#50     Dec 15, 2005