Peak Poop Theory

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nutmeg, Apr 16, 2011.

1. "In 1894, the Times of London estimated that by 1950 every street in the city would be buried nine feet deep in horse manure. One New York prognosticator of the 1890s concluded that by 1930 the horse droppings would rise to Manhattan’s third-story windows."

---------------------------------

This leads us to "Peak Whale Theory" from 1870.

"As the US Population reaches toward the astronomical total of 40 million persons, we are reaching the limits of the number of people this earth can support. If one were to extrapolate current population growth rates, this country in a hundred years could have over 250 million people in it! Now of course, that figure is impossible – the farmland of this country couldn’t possibly support even half this number. But it is interesting to consider the environmental consequences.

Take the issue of transportation. Currently there are over 11 million horses in this country, the feeding and care of which constitute a significant part of our economy. A population of 250 million would imply the need for nearly 70 million horses in this country, and this is even before one considers the fact that “horse intensity”, or the average number of horses per family, has been increasing steadily over the last several decades. It is not unreasonable, therefore, to assume that so many people might need 100 million horses to fulfill all their transportation needs. There is just no way this admittedly bountiful nation could support 100 million horses. The disposal of their manure alone would create an environmental problem of unprecedented magnitude.

Or, take the case of illuminant. As the population grows, the demand for illuminant should grow at least as quickly. However, whale catches and therefore whale oil supply has leveled off of late, such that many are talking about the “peak whale” phenomena, which refers to the theory that whale oil production may have already passed its peak. 250 million people would use up the entire supply of the world’s whales four or five times over, leaving none for poorer nations of the world.

Stay tuned on how John D. Rockefeller and Standard Oil saved the whales."

http://blogs.forbes.com/warrenmeyer/2010/11/05/the-man-who-saved-the-whales/

2. morganist

morganist Guest

Wow that's a lot of Sh*t. He he.

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Oh we haven't had this thread for at least 2 months, so I guess you can start 2 threads in this month.

Peak Whale Theory

Hate to break your idiocy, but there was a peak whale time. By the 1860s the whale population was harvested so badly, that on the Pacific side certain whale types almost became extint. Luckily the discovery of Colonel Drake's in Pennsylvania saved the whales.

Now go and kill yourself before you make children, so your stupidity wouldn't spread.

4. I was born yesterday. :cool: Check back tomorrow and I will tell you the same thiing.... I like to keep it that way...:D

5. Pek, is it that you just don't like Nut or what? Edwin Drake was an innovator and one of the first in oil, but he was not successful in marketing or bringing this life saving product to the masses. Humans use resources to improve life and this is the way it is and there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it. Yes the whales were hunted to virtual extinction, but something cheaper and efficient was eventually found. Good for the Whales and for humanity.

I sense that you hate oil companies and, by extension the oil based economy that we live in, which is your choice, however, I believe that when it comes down to it, if you had a stroke you would choose to be transported to a hospital in a Diesel powered ambulance rather than a horse drawn carriage.

The Ever Practical VIPER

6. Banjo

Banjo

I once had a peak ass clown theory but since I started reading ET it has blown out several times.

7. Pekelo

Pekelo

I don't know where you get that. Generally I hate stupidity specially when it is about relatively simple matters like peak "anything limited" or gravitation.

I only hate oil companies when they lie about obvious FACTS. But even they don't lie about peak oil anymore, because the obvious is, well, obvious. I can quote oil company CEOs acknowledging peak oil. They only lie about the reserves and when we will run into problems...

So if nutmeg plays the ignorant, so be it, just nobody should take him seriously... ET needs a clown for all seasons...

Oh yes, and it is an untradeable fact, due to so many factors, so starting a thread about it is irrelevant to trading. But I encourage everybody trying to short oil or buying depleted oilfields. :)

8. Larson

Larson Guest

:D