Peak oil thread

Discussion in 'Economics' started by m22au, Jun 18, 2010.

1. What could be done to keep the price of oil down is to increase fuel efficiency requirements for cars, introduce more hybrids with incentives from the government, and also produce more electric cars.

Price does change demand. As price of gas went up, more people bought hybrids and less SUV's. When price went back down, more SUV's were sold.

I actually believe we should have higher taxes placed on gas to help balance the budget that can be reduced only for certain reasons like war, the cartel increasing prices to punish us, or speculation by GS causing prices to rise for no reason.

#41     Jun 18, 2010
  2. pspr

pspr

#42     Jun 18, 2010

3. Wow ... you really are a stupid argumentative moron shifurbrains.

You a shill?

Because if your not ... your like a brute beast with no understanding or intelligence at all.

Quite amazing ... Really.

#43     Jun 18, 2010
  4. pspr

pspr

And someone on another forum offered this bit of truth:

"Ultimately of course, the debate is moot, to continue with increasing progress, mankind MUST harness Fusion, and whatever comes after it. Failure to do so will relegate us to some short lived glimmer that will be unnoticed in the universe as a whole "

#44     Jun 18, 2010
  5. Except that it doesn't really apply to uranium over time frames that matter. Ultimately the future of energy production must be new generation nuclear power - so called Generation IV reactors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_IV_reactor

Current reactors only extract a couple of percent of the energy in the enriched uranium that is the most commonly used fuel. Gen IV can extract almost 100%. Nuclear waste is reduced proportionately.

Put in simple terms, this means that energy consumption of one person for one year in a high energy country like the US or Australia could be supplied from just 1.5 grams of natural or even depleted uranium. A lifetime of energy from just a bit of uranium the size of the golf ball.

http://bravenewclimate.com/2010/04/22/ifr-fad-4/

Generation IV reactors are not crystal ball gazing stuff like fusion power is. Research reactors of the liquid sodium metal cooled type and molten salt type have been successfully built and operated. The Russians are building a production sodium cooled reactor (BN-800) and China has ordered two units.

One of really nice characteristics of a reactor such as the IFR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_fast_reactor is that it can burn existing nuclear waste and depleted uranium as fuel turning an existing liability into a huge energy asset. The vastly reduced quantity of waste also has the highly desirable feature of being safe after a few centuries rather than tens of thousands of years. GE-Hitachi actually have a commercial design based on this concept called the S-PRISM which could be built "tomorrow" (after jumping though the regulatory hoops).

Anybody concerned with the triple problems of climate/energy/depleting fossil fuel reserves should be taking a very serious look at a future based around Gen IV nuclear power. For an energy rich future it has by far the smallest ecological footprint of any option. There is plenty of information available on the net.

#45     Jun 18, 2010
  6. #46     Jun 18, 2010
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

So uranium ore suddenly started to replenish itself??

Your argument (beside being offtopic in a peak oil thread) is based on better waste product usage and doesn't address my point of uranium ores being a limited resource...

#47     Jun 19, 2010
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Not surprizingly, you are retarded. Just stating the obvious, not namecalling... :)

Man, you caught me! Yes, I signed up 6 years ago and quickly posted 6000 posts, so when some idiot accidentally posts about peak oil, I can shill for the Peak Oil Ltd....

They pay me well.... :)

#48     Jun 19, 2010
  9. Would you make that wager if we limited it to reserves economically viable at less than $25/barrel?

Because *that* - not the quantity - is the real issue.

#49     Jun 19, 2010
  10. Actually shifurbrains ... you have lost all credibility.
    Besides being pridefully blind and uneducated on the material you are
    a liar and are in fact just a trouble causing childish name caller.

Hence how you will be treated from here to ignore.

06-18-10 02:31 PM
    06-18-10 03:45 PM
    06-18-10 04:37 PM

#50     Jun 19, 2010