Peak oil thread

Discussion in 'Economics' started by m22au, Jun 18, 2010.

1. the endless stream of oil in the Gulf can easily create the illusion that there is too much oil in the ground.

Shortie Houdini Out :cool:

#21     Jun 18, 2010
  2. Arnie

Arnie

If its ALREADY happended, then what are you so worried about?
    Regarding the whales, let me spell it out for you. We found a new source of oil that replaced whale oil long before they were "extinct". Same thing will happen with oil. As the price rises, we will develop other sources of energy long before oil is ever close to running out.

#22     Jun 18, 2010
  3. Not really. The entirety of the "Bubble Playground" has an agenda.
    The agenda is control as previously stated.
    There is insurmountable proof that a strategy to take the global
    economy towards a global solution and that "Green" is part of that sales pitch.

Debt, war, pollution, solar flares, demographics, immigration, the Caliphate and 2012 are but a handful of strategic machinations and opportunistic efforts to that end.

How fast, how far and the steps between that final global solution is what we do not know.
    Where it is going and several of the mechanisms we do know.

Peak oil is simply a concept ... and that concept does not include rich oil finds and abiotic oil. While valid ... the baseline is erroneous.

The rage that questioning it inspires ought to give clue to those blind who subscribe to it.

#23     Jun 18, 2010
  4. FACTS ARE FACTS

Oil being discovered at 30,000 feet, far below the 18,000 feet where organic matter is no longer found.

(wells as far as 40000 feet have hit oil )

Wells pumped dry later replenished.
    (look up the eugene island well in mexico)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Island_block_330_oil_field

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf124/sf124p10.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/09/26/s...may-be-refilled-naturally.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.gasresources.net/toc_PetGeol.htm

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/Russia/Background.html

Kantrowitz turned to the geologist beside him and asked, "Do you really believe that petroleum is a fossil fuel?" The man said,"Certainly" and all four of them joined in. Kantrowitz listened quietly and then said, "The deepest fossil ever found has been at about 16,000 feet below sea level; yet we are getting oil from wells drilled to 30,000 and more. How could fossil fuel get down there? If it was once living matter, it had to be on the surface. If it did turn into petroleum, at or near the surface,how could it ever get to such depths? What is heavier Oil or Water?" Water: so it would go down, not oil. Oil would be on top, if it were "organic" and "lighter."

"Oil is neither."

They all agreed water was heavier, and therefore if there was some crack or other open area for this "Organic matter" to go deep into the magma of Earth, water would have to go first and oil would be left nearer the surface. This is reasonable. Even if we do agree that "magma" is a "crude mixture of minerals or organic matters, in a thin pasty state" this does not make it petroleum, and if it were petroleum it would have stayed near the surface as heavier items, i.e. water seeped below.

http://www.prouty.org/oil.html

hey peekers, could you please provide scientific evidence how the above events could happen under a oil exclusively as a fossil fuel
    theory

the masses believe the fossil fuel theory because that is what has been thought for many years and it's so engraved in their head that this is true. even though they can't explain the above

I suspect that the earth is round theory came against similar disbelieving

#24     Jun 18, 2010
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

Quote from Arnie:

If its ALREADY happended, then what are you so worried about?

Please quote the sentence when I sound worried. I am concerned, but mostly with people like you, who can't understand simple concepts, so if let's say a vote is needed on the matters, they will be terribly confused.

Regarding the whales, let me spell it out for you. We found a new source of oil that replaced whale oil long before they were "extinct".

You are a genius. My point still stands, whales did became extincts (or got close to it), so that was a terrible/incorrect/illogical analogy to use.

As the price rises, we will develop other sources of energy long before oil is ever close to running out.

HOPE is a 4 letter word, specially for a trader....

#25     Jun 18, 2010
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Magic? If you don't mind, I didn't read it, because life is just too short to waste it on fantasies...

But if you can explain to me why the long time ago peaked American oilfields aren't refilling themselves....

Oh wait, nevermind....

#26     Jun 18, 2010
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

well, then you should obviously understand that the origins of oil is actually IRRELVANT.

As long as we are using it up faster than it magicly gets recreated, we will run out of it. End of story...

I agree with what you said, but I was already in a position and it is a boring waiting game, not to mention I like to mess with idiots. Who knows, they might eventually learn something.

I know, I am a dreamer... :)

P.S.: Abiotic oil is like clean coal or dry water...

#27     Jun 18, 2010
  8. so because only some of the wells are refilling, that some how proves the fossil fuel theory ?

Ya don't waste your time on research papers by geologists and scientists. I wouldn't want to confuse you with the facts

Sounds like you spend a lot of time researching all aspects of the subject matter and should be considered the definitive source. I will notify congress to invite you to the next congressional hearings on oil

#28     Jun 18, 2010
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

Quote from antitrust:

so because only some of the wells are refilling, that some how proves the fossil fuel theory ?

No, but it disproves the abiotic fantasy. :)

And saying some, is a fucking huge overstatement, since out of 10s thousands of oilwells, maybe a few are refilling. (with a very simple and logical explanation)

I wouldn't want to confuse you with the facts

Who needs facts when we can have fantasies?

Sounds like you spend a lot of time researching all aspects of the subject matter

I take it as a compliment. The concept of a limited resource running out by continuous usage is rather simple, there is no need to spend lots of time or energy to understand it....

#29     Jun 18, 2010
  10. The world is too competitive, the balance of power is now too fragile. There is no one world government on the horizon. India, China, Russia, Brazil... they just came to the consumption party. You think they want to stop "progress" and only allow Americans to live the oil based industrial life? Not a chance.

If there was truly such spectacular, easy oil out there, you think China would be forking over crazy money to access Africa, Canadian Tar Sands, etc...? It's rather obvious - it's a scramble for what's left.

When it comes to Oil, it's a race to the bottom. No one will give it up - to do so gives a competitive advantage to your adversary. Yet when everyone chases the same thing - the production can't keep up. It's a catch 22 for the indusrialized world.

Hey, I wear a tinfoil hat occasionally... but on this topic, it's not needed.

And yes, Russia just took top place in oil production. But that only makes me more alarmed regarding peak oil. Is Saudi Arabia cutting back, or is there something going on over there? How is Ghawar doing?

If oil is so plentiful and easy to access, why are we sacrificing our youth in the sands of the Middle East? Why did we build a billion dollar embassy in Iraq? Why does Iran have so much leverage? Hint... oil.

#30     Jun 18, 2010