PEAK OIL is PAST

Discussion in 'Economics' started by local_crusher, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

Since there was no argument in your post, I can't debate it... :)

Basicly I take you have no data to back any of your claims, if there was any. I wanna see where those extra 20-30 mbpd oil or substitue is going to come from by 2015....

#21     Oct 16, 2007
  2. kashirin

kashirin

we still have a lot of coal that can easily substitute oil
    enviromental charges are huge but technology improves.
    wikipedia says gas from coal is profitable if oil price is higher than $35
    so definitely no peak oil problem
    And if oil substitutes available for that price - soner or later il will cost no more than $35

#22     Oct 16, 2007
  3. Um tard, oil prices are rising to reflect demand. There is no actual or impending shortage of oil.

#23     Oct 16, 2007
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Or oilprices are rising because the standard we use to measure the value of it (dollar) is weakening...

The price of oil is actually a ratio. If measured in gold, the price of oil changed only a few times in the last few decades.

#24     Oct 16, 2007
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

Again, we need substitutes, because we HAVE a peak oil problem. :eek: (you could have said "peak energy" but that is different)

Why is it so hard to see? By the way, just to shatter your myth, that coal will be always there and aviable, check this out:

http://europe.theoildrum.com/node/2396

I bet you didn't know that :

"The USA had passed peak production of anthracite (by far the rarest form) by 1950 and peaked in bituminous coal in 1990, but sub-bituminous coal more than made up for this decline in terms of tonnage. However, due to the lower energy content of softer coals, the total energy content of annual US coal production peaked in 1998."

#25     Oct 16, 2007
  6. Amazing how the terror premium is not mentioned when talking about the price of oil. $80 last summer to $50 in the beginning of the year to 80 again now, notice the political events that drive the price of oil. If you want cheap oil, don't vote republican.

#26     Oct 16, 2007
  7. The Integral Fast Reactor (IFR) pyroprocessing system, which uses pools of molten cadmium and electrorefiners to reprocess metallic fuel directly on-site at the reactor. Such systems not only commingle all the minor actinides with both uranium and plutonium, they are compact and self-contained, so that no plutonium-containing material ever needs to be transported away from the site of the breeder reactor. Breeder reactors incorporating such technology would most likely be designed with breeding ratios very close to 1.00, so that after an initial loading of enriched uranium and/or plutonium fuel, the reactor would then be refueled only with small deliveries of natural uranium metal. A quantity of natural uranium metal equivalent to a block about the size of a milk crate delivered once per month would be all the fuel such a 1 gigawatt reactor would need.

#27     Oct 16, 2007
  8. Saudi Arabia has been secretive about its oil reserves and production rates, they are the key piece of the puzzle, the so called hidden card that the oil bears use to say that excess capacity is still there. Folks, why would Saudi Arabia cut down production when oil prices rise? That's what's been happening over the past year. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure it out. They are maxing out their production and are helpless to supply more oil to the market because they can't. They are pumping at full bore and the Chinese are lapping up the excess.

#28     Oct 16, 2007
  9. of course...and a year from now, there will be no oil left in the world.

#29     Oct 16, 2007
  10. dhpar

dhpar

agree.
    interesting that this topic is basically not possible to debate here. people are either ignorant on the subject or simply think that there is no problem whatsoever. no prob - as long as everybody think that oil is plenty i am on the right side.
    to everybody interested i would recommend to spend few minutes watching this well known documentary: http://www.archive.org/details/acrudeawakening (it is better to download it to your pc first...)

for everybody else there is always a bathtub of crude :D

[​IMG]

#30     Oct 16, 2007