Peak Fish

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by ByLoSellHi, Jan 30, 2009.

1. CET

CET

This may be slightly off topic, but if fish supplies decrease enough that people flock to fish oil supplements more than they have already, you may check out Omega Protein (OME). The chart is ugly but has been basing for about 3 months.

#31     Feb 13, 2009
  2. I have never lived in Asia, but am I wrong in my assumption that the Japanese pay more as a % of their income for food than we do, and in large part because of incredibly high fish prices, which is the main protein component in their diet?

#32     Feb 16, 2009
  3. ========================
    Neat news on codfish increase.

Sounds right, average Tokyo resident pays more than 1/3 of income for food ;
    compared to NYC resident.They also are known for high fish consumption.

Average farm size in Japan is 5 acres[USDA notes]

Main reason noted is Japanese ''formal & informal trade barriers'':cool:

#33     Feb 17, 2009
  4. So, my 'peak fish' comment isn't as mad as some (not all) here assumed at first?

There is strong scientific data that overfishing of the world's fish species began in the 1960s and has continued unabated through the present time.

Technology has made decimation of fish stocks possible. Net technology and sonar technology allow trawlers to encircle rich feeding areas where particulars species of fish swarm to, and shoot (catch) fish in a barrel.

Murray - I don't have the specific data, so I won't comment, but having been to Japan over a half dozen times, food costs for the Japanese people are astronomical, and this is true for their protein staple - fish.

This is why many Japanese resist curbs and quotas on fishing species such as blue fin tuna (which is definitely on a crash course with extinction if something isn't done soon). This is also why the Japanese people react angrily to the international treaties on Whaling and hunting Dolphin (both of which are delicacies in Japan).

Thank you for posting that.

#35     May 17, 2009
  5. Similar to peak oil right? We all know how thats going. :D

#36     May 17, 2009
  6. Peak oil is the biggest bunch of BS I've ever seen so readily swallowed by so many people here and elsewhere.

I doubt we've tapped, let alone discovered, more than 1 2oth of one percent of the oil that exists on and in this planet.

I still support the shift towards getting away from carbon-based energy sources, however, because they do adversely impact the environment and human health.

#37     May 18, 2009
  7. #38     May 18, 2009
  8. I've studied this topic.

Human beings are a scourge & will be dealt with in due course. A cull of about 60-90% will eventually be in the cards. The bilderberg group will get its way. THINK: Massive viral outbreak so you "gotta" get the government's vaccine. That's the endgame.

It's a shame most people are too ignorant to live & enjoy a vegetarian lifestyle. My last sinful taste of animal flesh was @ Bull & Bear @ Waldorf many years ago & lemme tell you it was an excellent way to go out.

"The measure of a man is what he does with power." ---Pittacus

Peak fish is just plain sad.

Part of the reason I trade futures is I know it's a zero sum game. I take some other guy's money...most likely a selfish, gluttonous scoundrel, who couldn't live a more prosaic life if he tried.

THANKS for posting about peak fish.

I'm sure most trolls here on ET don't think much about matters such as these.

And for those of you who can't wait to reply with a puerile "I love eating steak!," let me save you the trouble: GO F*** yourselves.

--Harold

#39     May 18, 2009
  9. Thanks for that thoughtful and long-term looking post.

Buffalo is far more sustainable than beef, and we haven't learned our lessons in being good stewards of the earth, and I agree with you that there will be dire consequences for our mismanagement of the environment and the planet.

It's too bad mankind can't see what's directly in front of his face and react logically.

#40     May 18, 2009