PDT question ...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by aphexcoil, Oct 18, 2002.

1. def

def Sponsor

The lack of margin call was mainly put in place to protect the company and the rest of its clients - i.e. a rogue trader can and will not be able to blow out the company.

#11     Oct 19, 2002
  2. nusrat

nusrat

Could someone please give me an example of how this could happen?

Aphexcoil, the date I most frequently see referenced is Sept/Oct-2001.

Bidmasterx, TechAnalysis -- most of the "expert" commentary I've seen says that the actual pressure for PDT rules wasn't about protecting investor, but rather about protecting MMs. As for the publicly stated reason, I'm pretty sure it could be found at nasd.com or nasdr.com, among the documents which describe the initial proposal and the pre-enactment commentary.

I think almost everyone's shocked to see PDT rules applied to options. But it's surprising that so many people seem to just now be finding out about its past applicability to stocks.

#12     Oct 19, 2002
  3. The date it went into effect was indeed 9-28-01. Or should I say "affect" just to trip up your grammar checker?

I dont know what it is this week, but we seem to have a rash of new members who's sole purpose here is to break the balls of everyone around them. Must be the volatility in the markets.

#13     Oct 19, 2002
  4. nusrat

nusrat

The date it went into effect was indeed 9-28-01. Or should I say "affect" just to trip up your grammar checker?

LOL:)

I dont know what it is this week, but we seem to have a rash of new members who's sole purpose here is to break the balls of everyone around them.

shouldn't that be "whose"? ROTFLOL :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry, can't help it. It's not in my workstation, it's in my cerebral cortex: at an early age I had an English teacher with OCD, and it permanently corrupted me. I just have an antenna that instantly homes in on things like proper use of the subjunctive mood, etc.
    It's a sickness.:)

(and shouldn't that be "soul effect"?:D )

"break the balls of everyone around them": no, not everyone, just those who are allergic to cognitive dissonance.:p

#14     Oct 19, 2002
  5. I can't stand English errors in printed and spoken media, either. What really gets me is the plural use of "couple" as in the couple WERE when it should be the couple WAS. Or center median. Well where the hell ELSE does one find a median? Off to the side?? :D

Oh well. On message boards and e-mails, though, who cares, anything goes.

Cheers.

#15     Oct 19, 2002
  6. The SEC has a screw lose and there is way too much money affecting the politics of this organization.

#16     Oct 19, 2002
  7. nusrat

nusrat

There, now, doesn't that feel much better? :cool:
    Why allow a putative jerk to disturb your placidity? :)

I'll tell you what's worse than WERE/WAS:
    people who say "new-cue-lar" :mad: :mad: :mad: AAAARRRRRRGGH!

#17     Oct 19, 2002
  8. I'm from NY and what really bothers me is all these utes going around axe-ing questions about how to trade the markets:D

#18     Oct 19, 2002
  9. nusrat

nusrat

what really bothers me is all these utes going around axe-ing questions about how to trade the markets:D

eeeyyewwww, yeah, I forgot about "axe".
    Always makes me want to grab a pen and paper and say,
    "OK, what does this spell?
    M-A-S-K . . . T-A-S-K . . . C-A-S-K . . . F-L-A-S-K . . ."

#19     Oct 19, 2002
  10. Who is going to return this coat to whomever lost it?

You are affecting the final effect of the outcome.

You two are both going to the store with too much money.

I'd rather be rich than poor, then I could buy a nice car.

They're getting on my nerves with their new stereo that they put over there.

#20     Oct 19, 2002