PDT (pattern day trading) rule is UNAMERICAN

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Koros, Aug 17, 2003.

1. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

#21     Aug 18, 2003
  2. Pabst

Pabst

IMO it's like a lot of liberal "feel good" regulations. The SEC was concerned about the number of "common folk" who blew out day trading in 2000 and thought a demarcation point between taxi driving day trader and professional market wizard was 25k. They didn't think this out any better than a lot of other crap laws though. Now you have under capitalized day traders in futures- a far more leveraged instrument than stocks, you have guys who have bumped from 10k up to 25k trading at the new 4x and now really can't afford to lose, and you have prop shops.

Kind of reminds me of the duplicity of seat belt laws. Some guy in a Volvo surrounded by 6 airbags can get ticketed for being unstrapped, but a school bus full of kids can ride around without belts. Gee, glad big brother's looking out for me!

#22     Aug 18, 2003
  3. Good point. So who is going to take the responsibility to create a petition at www.petitiononline.com ? I wouldn't even know how to go about starting the petition. Someone step up to the plate. :(

#23     Aug 18, 2003
  4. changed the rules on PDT ?

it used to be one would wait 5 days until being allowed to trade stocks again if the account size fell below $25 K

I am starting to believe that one must wait a longer time

or even cannot trade stocks at all if classifed as a PDT

until one's account is back above the 25 K level:(

#24     Aug 18, 2003
  5. STRONGLY DISAGREE

MORE COMPETITION = LESS EDGE.

LESS COMPETITION = MORE EDGE.

Think about it.

#25     Aug 18, 2003
  6. Let this be about daytrading and PDT rules.
    Go to the website (Petitiononline) given at the first post, and select "Start your own free petition today". Do the petition and get it off to the U.S. Congress. Include the SEC rule # and title for PDT in your petition. Place the PDT rule # and title on ET if you know what it is. Keep the thread going. Restate the subject (see my earlier post) and restate the SEC's PDT rule # and title.

#26     Aug 19, 2003
  7. ChrisM

ChrisM

Yes, they have. It happened to me. Now you must wait for 90 days before you can open new positions.

#27     Aug 19, 2003
  8. PDT started to be enforced by the clearing firms. Southeast would shut down an account (close it) after the 4th day trade in 4 days.

Some BDs are enforcing their own strict rules.

#28     Aug 19, 2003
  9. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

agree ... good points ...

Also I'm seeing a lot of my traders wanting to trade e-minis and cheap stocks, eg $10-$20 stocks (poorer-odds) -- instead of the better volatility/trading stocks in the $30-$60 range which is optimum.

I still think the best plays are in stocks priced $30-$60 with avg intraday ranges of 2-3 pts on volume of 2M+ shares/day .. not in eminis, not in cheap stocks..

I hope we can get the pdt to a more reasonable 10k or whatever.. 25k is too high for many, and like the point was made, artificially 'moves' undercapitalized traders into what are lower-probability trading instruments.

#29     Aug 19, 2003
  10. quit crying ....bitches

#30     Aug 19, 2003