PDA advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abducens, Feb 12, 2007.

1. I want to buy a PDA and have looked mainly at Dell and Palm. Right now want appt , notes and scheduling but would like internet, but not that important right now.

Any models that stand out? Is ok to try to buy used off ebay? thanks

2. Are you considering a PDA that has a cellphone? There are tons of them onthe market right now.

I'd choose based on carrier, OS and features. The new Treo is probably the best one for Palm OS. For Symbian I'd go with a Nokia E62 (I have one.) There are a bunch of new ones with the Microsoft mobile OS, but I'm not that familiar with them.

3. I read so many reviews, my head spun! You have to be familiar with Palm vs Microsoft (there are others, Symbian for example) - having had both, I would not go back to Microsoft. There are a wider variety of applications per category for Palm, and in the end, it is the applications you use that will likely determine which PDA you go for.

I use the Treo 700p - Sprint. I did use the Windows version 700w and found the applications cumbersome in comparison with the Palm versions.

I also used the Motorola Q from Verizon - no problem with Verizon, but the phone is awful - using it for phone and broadband modem requires constantly changing a setting in the phones setup.... by comparison the Treo 700p is a joy - plug the phone into my laptop, and go to the net, QUICKLY.

Spend some time in the stores, read reviews and short-list your software. HTH