PC's vs Workstations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vulture, Sep 1, 2002.

1. I've read a couple of articles suggesting a little more Ram might be helpful with the newer monitors at finer resolutions. I can scrape by at 1600X600 w/256 Megs but higher resolutions are not good for my hardware. I've tried several work arounds but probably should have done more research on monitors before buying the Viewsonics.

Bruce

#11     Sep 1, 2002
  2. RAM is dirt cheap. I have 1024 in each of my computers.

#12     Sep 1, 2002
  3. gnome

gnome

Sarasota's right, ram is cheap. I hadn't thought about the resolution business. Mine are set on 1024 x 768 and 16 bit color. Perhaps significantly higher resolutions and greater color intensity require more ram... is that it?

#13     Sep 1, 2002
  4. It's either more Ram or better monitors, you pick 'em...I just bought more Ram for my second machine, now up to 256 Megs and I can see a performance difference but the resolution here is the same as yours.

Bruce

#14     Sep 1, 2002
  5. Banjo

Banjo

Running a dell P3,xp500 w/ 750 mgs ram, 4crt's, Dsl, ups. No probs, just time to upgrade. I've found high end equipt. is more configurable for uprades and generally more prob. free. Actually cheaper in the long run. I'm just trying to gain an awareness of latest equipt and configurations. Fasterkitty, Nitro, Magna and others know this stuff but they're all out water skiing drunk.

#15     Sep 1, 2002
  6. gnome

gnome

About 6 months ago, I upgraded from a PII, 350, 192 Ram, W98 to a P4, 1.6G, 512 Ram, Win2K. Frankly, while programs seem to load a bit faster, plugins, that sort of thing, I don't see hardly any difference in data receipt, graphics, nor trade execution between the 2 systems.

Maybe this suggests you won't see much increase in speed with a new killer system? Just a thought.

#16     Sep 1, 2002
  7. Banjo

Banjo

yeah, that's what I'm trying to get a handle on, may not be time to do it yet. Thanks for all the input.

#17     Sep 1, 2002
  8. I have one p4 2.2 ghz machine and one p3 dual processor machine with two 933 mhz chips. I have basically the same programs running on both. My p4 machine is always running between 40 and 100 per cent of the cpu. My p3 dp machine NEVER runs more than 10 to 30 percent or so.

If I was to get a new system now then I would get my "local" guy to build a amd dual processor with two 2.0 ghz chips. I would also get the new TAPI 133 hard drive. Our programs do a ton of reading and writing to disk. A fast hard drive is a big boost.

I use Qcharts, Fibonacci Trader and Advanced Get with esignal.

John

#18     Sep 1, 2002
  9. gnome

gnome

How do you like that Advanced GET? I've asked them to let me test on it before buying, but they've always said NO.

#19     Sep 1, 2002
  10. skeez

skeez

When is enough power enough?

I use a Athlon 1Ghz, 1GB RAM running Win2K Pro with my trading. I also have 3 19" CRTs. I use TS6, IB, IRC, Email and a couple of browsers open I trade and have no trouble with speed at all.

Although I agree that there's nothing wrong with getting faster equipment if you can afford it, in my opinion, I don't think it's necessary unless you have a boat-load of apps running.

#20     Sep 1, 2002