PC's keep losing network connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mgookin, Aug 16, 2013.

1. I have a bunch of HP pc's which I bought just over a year ago. Most are the same model and all of those lose the internet connection sporadically. Most often it's about 1-2 minutes after it boots up. Enough time to open Outlook and pull the mail off the server but after that it's dead. On occasion it happens in the middle of the work day. Happens probably 3-4 times per week per machine. Common problem among all the same model which is HP Pavillion p7-1257cb from Sams. Searched online and with HP to no avail. Replaced, rolled back, updated NIC drivers to no avail. All the other pc's on the network never have the problem which rules out the switch. Been going on about 6 months and I'm about tired of it. Also completely removed anti-virus and that didn't help. Now using different anti-virus and still doing it. Any ideas?

2. Bob111

Bob111

3. Doesn't sound as you have ruled out all the hardware, try swapping out the cable (and then different port). Should be easy enough.

After that, even though it may be a physical hassle, it would be worth it to plug this machine into the same jack as a working machine.

That, and what about the OS on these vs OS on working machines.

4. Are they dhcp'ing an assigned static or just a random IP in the pool?

5. Set all connections to static, then if that does not work, buy a new network card. I had a similar problem where I would lose a network connection when another computer booted up on my network until I switched all computers to static. I also used to get paid to managed a network of over 200 computers and servers, and I always assigned static network connections.

6. To add to this... Most guys keep their static table in the switch or firewall/router and keep the end machine DCHP'd to the MAC address of whatever machine.

Use NIC Teaming if you can (server 2008/12 or W8) and utilize more than one NIC per machine for reliability and more of that unneeded bandwidth.

Also,

Not sure what you are running for switch or router/firewall hardware/firmware but have you looked into updating your networking hardware to latest firmware?

7. Redneck

Redneck

MG

I have a Pavilion PV8 laptop - purpose built from HP

There is a known issue with the wireless card sporadically shutting off

No identified fix, that I’m aware (other than replacing the card - and even that is not 100%)

But…

I've been able to overcome this issue by running a registry repair program every eod

In fact, since I started running defrag/ secure clean/ and the registry repair – each day – never had any performance issues whatsoever

The registry fix is speedyPC pro

Also running ESET NOD antivirus

HTH

RN

8. No wireless; all hardwired.
    I've swapped ports in the past to no avail.
    Because it's intermittent and occurs on the same model machine with same frequency and characteristics, I doubt it's cabling.

The modem is the Comcast SMCD3G business class and the switch is a 16 port Netgear GS116.
    Question: To make the connections static, do I have to have a static IP on the incoming? It' dynamic.

9. Narrowed it down to OS, service pack? Working machines vs non-working. Depending on your frustration level and time: take just 1 of the machines and revert back to a solid OS, simple generic driver config, then add drivers slowly. That's a big hammer approach, depends on the remaining hairs left your head.

10. Update: Had an IT guy in here over the weekend and had him set one problem workstation to static IP on the network and that seems to have cured it. Thanks to all who offered input on the problem.

#10     Oct 9, 2013