PCLN Earnings - 1080/1100/1120 Call Fly - Paper Trade

Discussion in 'Options' started by FXforex, Nov 7, 2013.

1. FXforex

FXforex

PCLN Earnings - 1080/1100/1120 Call Fly - Paper Trade

Price target after earnings $1100.00
    • Buy 1 PCLN Nov8 2013 1080 call @ $14.80
    • Sell 2 PCLN Nov8 2013 1100 calls @ $8.50 ($17.00 credit)
    • Buy 1 PCLN Nov8 2013 1120 call @ $5.30
    • Maximum loss $310.00
    • Maximum gain $2,000.00 - $310.00 = $1690.00

2. I LIKE that your doing a fly....:)

3. The problem with flys is they have such a narrow range of success. You have to be a real sharpshooter to hit the mark.

4. Doobs789

Doobs789

And your fly is now worthless.

Are you basing this trade on some sort of directional edge? Or merely trying to maximize your risk:reward? Either way, it's a binary wager.

5. FXforex

FXforex

As of 12pm it was worth $100.00. Sell the 1080 call at $1.30, buy back the 1100 calls at $0.15 each.

[​IMG]

6. Georgi90

Georgi90

:confused:
    you consider yourself a winner with these screenshots ?

7. Doobs789

Doobs789

Ok...

But how replicable is your strategy. It would be quite difficult to incorporate the stock's drift throughout the day following the report as a valid data point. Assuming favorable price action in order to salvage your trade, doesn't really work as a model input. Perhaps next quarter the price will go the other way.

If you have a solid read on direction, just trade the underlying.

Anyone can post a prediction on what XYZ stock will do the next day, and then claim we should have bought/sold calls/puts/stock. You're either right or wrong.

8. FXforex

FXforex

You are over-analyzing the trade. It's just a simple option position to take advantage of a pop after earnings, and since the IV is inflated making the options very expensive I decide to post a fly position to demonstrate how the cost can be reduced. Not many people understand how flys work.
    I doubt anybody can read the direction of a stock, I can't. I picked the calls because that is the overall direction of the market and PCLN. And an option position is a lot cheaper than buying PCLN.
    The title clearly marked this thread as a "Paper Trade", I'm not making any claims.

9. Doobs789

Doobs789

The fact the vol drops after an earnings report is widely known by the market. The trade was so cheap because it had a very small chance of winning. It's still a lotto ticket, wagering on a binary outcome.

If I bought PCLN shares prior to the report, I made more money than your fly.

I have a fairly good handle on how flies work. I could've easily posted several trades that may, or may not have, been winners. But, unless you have an edge on price or vol, you will not make money over the long-term trading options.

10. FXforex

FXforex

That's odd. The 1120 calls were higher than the 1100 calls, thinking Yahoo quotes were wrong I also checked Nasdaq and got the same numbers. That can't be right.

Nov8 weekly calls
    • 1080 daily high $5.00
    • 1100 daily high $1.64
    • 1120 daily high $2.54

#10     Nov 8, 2013