PCI slots = 4 to 6?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by easymon1, Feb 27, 2014.

1. easymon1

easymon1

Any ideas on how to find a low-end desktop pc with available total PCI slots = 4 to 6?

2. dartmus

dartmus

Do you mean PCI-Express slots typically used to drive graphics cards that support monitors?

3. Years ago, they often had 6 PCI slots... but that was YEARS ago.

If you get something with at least 2, PCIEx16 slots, it will probably have at least 2 more of <16. Most low-end mobos will hae 1, x16.... 1, x1.... and a couple of PCI slots. OK for running one video card, but not necessarily for running 2.

4. I have the same curiosity: did you mean PCI Express slots (current standard) or the PCI (older standard)?

It seems almost by definition... that a low-end PC will have very limited expansion capability (i.e. empty slots). They keep the cost low by cutting things you probably don't need. Smaller motherboard, less fans, less chassis space, less power. Very unlikely you will find a "low-end" (low cost) box that is committed to support 4-6 add-on cards, which likely may be populated by some higher-end video cards (people will try anyway). More card, more power needed, more air circulation needed, more space needed...

Another curiosity question is: what are you going to use those 4-6 empty slots for? Yes it matters. Putting in 6 high-end video cards on a low-end PC just will not work. 4-6 USB expansion cards or 4-6 Gigabit Ethernet card (don't know why you would want that configuration...) would probably be no problem.

5. easymon1

easymon1

Wondering about what options exist for a simple, stable PC to run charts (25% i3 cpu usage) on 4 - 6 low end video cards that specify - PCI Express x16/ PCI Express x1, 25w.

6. 1. "4-6... video cards"? Did you mean 4-6 monitors? What resolution?

2. What PCIE slots are on your mobo, exactly?

7. On a low-end PC, it is unlikely to see more than 2 empty slots, let alone 3. And extremely challenging to have 4 to 6.

Driving 4 additional monitors is possible, through some of the USB-to-DVI/VGA/HDMI adapters. They work okay. Some nuisance because of using USB, but does the job for the most part.

Running many video cards can be an issue to the power supply, even though they are low-end video card. Many low-end PCs are equipped with marginal power supply - only enough for the main motherboard and one or two disk drives. Any additional load may need to change out the power supply too.

8. He's going about it sort of backwards.

Should be...

1. Number of monitors and resolution
    2. What video cards to run those monitors
    3. What computer to accommodate those video cards.

9. vicirek

vicirek

What matters is the number of PCIE lanes motherboard chipset handles. Those lanes are split across actual slots and aside from some slots designated as x16 or x8 PCIE bandwidth will be shared depending on how many devices are plugged in

10. I agree, Scat. That's the ideal way to build a bridge.

It seems that he has a bridge in service already... and just want to see if he can increase the traffic on it. Not impossible but things may be prone to risks...

I think 6 monitors or above is kind of out of the question. 2 to 4 monitors may be doable.

#10     Mar 4, 2014