pci cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bora, Dec 9, 2001.

1. tom_p

tom_p

uptik2000, I had a similar problem about a year ago and append a thread which may be helpful. There should be no reason why Win98 would not support the extra card and monitor - I eventually succeeded but only after a fair bit of tinkering.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1252

#21     Mar 9, 2002
  2. ok thanks guys!
    I knew I could count on you all for some quick answers.
    This board rocks!
    I'll go back to compusa pick up the card and give it a try tonight.

#22     Mar 9, 2002
  3. mbg

mbg

i'm running 4 monitors with win2000

one Matrox G450 dual head AGP card
    and 2 old Matrox Millennium 2MB PCI cards - win2000 has the drivers for the pci cards native in the os - recognized right away and everything worked no problem

This works best with Intel chipsets - with a VIA chipset, all bets are off - my faster AMD sits idle since it can''t handle the multi monitors under win2000

#23     Mar 9, 2002
  4. Eldredge

Eldredge

Uptick,

When I was using Win98 I added a second pci card, but it had to have a certain chip to work. If you check your documentation (it may have been in "help" under "multiple monitors") for W98 it will tell you what chip the pci card must have (actually, there was more than one chip that would work I think). If the card has this chip, it will work great; if not, it won't work at all - this is the voice of experience :) .

#24     Mar 9, 2002
  5. ok, guys...here's the deal...
    i bought the ATI expert 98 card...installed it...it's working , but its screwed up a bit

I have the second new monitor, which is a small 15"...set on 640x480....
    here's the problem.....part of the screen is cut off..i'd say in inch and a half on the left, top, and bottom
    also the color seems a bit off
    it's not a big deal , 'cause I'm mainly using it for a quote minder, but it would be nice if I could figure out how to get the most out of the screen.
    thanks

#25     Mar 10, 2002
  6. GeeTO69

GeeTO69

mbg, what you talking about? i'm driving eight monitors under WIN200 with an AMD processor and four MATROX 450 duals. works great.

#26     Mar 10, 2002
  7. with some, playing around I've been able to increase the 2nd monitor size a bit, but I'm still osing about and inch on 3 sides(left,top, bottom)
    another thing I'm just now noticing is a strange scrolling ghost type line going from bottom to top on my main monitor
    whats with that?
    any help would be greatly appreciated

#27     Mar 10, 2002
  8. tom_p

tom_p

Can't help with the "missing" edges, other than to say keep playing around with it. The scrolling may be due to interference between the 2 monitors.

#28     Mar 10, 2002
  9. ok, thanks Tom
    I'll keep messing with it.

#29     Mar 10, 2002
  10. TAfool

TAfool

The scrolling band is from interference and can be eliminated by setting the monitors at varying frequencies, such as 100hz on #1, 85hz on #2, 100hz on #3 and so on.

As far as the offset picture, there should be adjustments available on the monitor to move the picture (if it isn't too terribly old)or adjustments from within the driver control panel.

Regards,
    TAfool

#30     Mar 10, 2002