pci cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bora, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Hey Nicodemus,

Do you have a web address for starband's data feed?

Does it work like direct TV, where you have to buy a receiver that you plug into the phone line, or do you lease the equipment on a monthly basis?

Thanks
    -duder

#11     Dec 10, 2001
  2. You should be able to select which card is recognized as the primary in your BIOS setup screen (hit DEL key when booting).

Off the top of my head its something like "Init PCI video" or Init Primary Video <AGP/PCI>.

There is also a setting within windows, control panel, display, settings (a check box) that lets you pick which monitor is your primary monitor but I don't think that actually does what you want.

#12     Dec 10, 2001
  3. I have been messing with this for days. Just switched to WIN2000 and my ATI Rage video cards will not function as secondary monitors (ie multi monitor set up) under 2000 so essentially worthless. I went and bought another brand at OfficeMax-explained the problem to the rep-and discovered the same problem with it. Back to the drawing board bought everyone else be aware of PCI vid card issues with win 2000 when using them as secondary monitors.

#13     Dec 10, 2001
  4. Dattrader

Yes, Win2000 will not accept two of the Rage 128 cards for some reason, although one will work with some other cards. I am using one for a third with my Matrox dualie.

Dude

http:www.starband.net

It will cost you about $600 to get setup. I think DirectPC is now up and running with twoway too. They run about the same money wise.

#14     Dec 10, 2001
  5. Magna

Magna Administrator

Win2000 will not accept two of the Rage 128 cards for some reason, although one will work with some other cards. I am using one for a third with my Matrox dualie.

I'd like to continue this discussion because I'm getting ready to add a 3rd and 4th monitor to one of my computers (been currently running 2 monitors x 2 computers for a total of 4, but want to run 3 or 4 off the same computer). I see by the above that Win2000 will not accept 2 Rage 128 cards. I'm wondering if it will accept 1 Rage 128 in conjunction with the dual Radeon VE? Since they're both ATI cards might it confuse or not accept the two? Would I be better off picking up cheap PCI cards where the manufacturers don't match the manufacturers of my dual card?

I'd like to actually get away from using a dual-card at all (since I find the secondary monitor is noticably softer than the primary), so if I pick up 3 or 4 std PCI cards is there any mix 'm match of manufacturers that I should look for? Thanks for any help.

#15     Dec 10, 2001
  6. Josh_B

Josh_B

I had similar problem installing 2 ATI on same system. Would not recognize the AGP at all after the PCI was installed.

PCI was Radeon, AGP was/is the pro rage..

spent considerable amount of time installing/unistalling, updating drivers, but no luck.

Replaced the pci with Nvidia, and no problem since. w-98 setup, also same with win2000 on another system. Even tried a generic soundblaster one and that worked too.

Per compUsa techies, there is some problem with the drivers and additional cards specific to ATI's.

PCI has become the primary since the additions. no problem with performance.

Josh_B

#16     Dec 10, 2001
  7. Magna

Magna Administrator

Thanks Josh, it sounds like as long as you don't attempt to mix two ATI's (whether in Win98 or Win2000) you stand a good chance of success. And I would think (hope?) that one ATI, whether AGP or PCI, is fine as long as it's mixed with nVidia or Matrox, etc. And that's even if that one ATI is a dual-head Radeon VE?!

If anyone else has had experience mixing 'n matching please let me know what worked and what didn't.

#17     Dec 10, 2001
  8. question fo ryou guys...I have windows 98, a NVDIA agp card, with a 19"monitor
    what I want to do is get a PCI card to run a 15"monitor to put quotes on
    i went to CompUSA and the cheapest card they had was the Expert98 PCI.......will this work to run the small monitor?

and is it easy to install?
    Thanks!

#18     Mar 9, 2002
  9. nitro

nitro

Not necessarily. My computer(s) (through the BIOS) allow me to set which card is used as the primary card.

I have several machines, but the one I am talking about uses a SuperMicro p4dce+ motherboard. I use a Matrox G550 dual DVI card and a Matrox G200 MMS QUAD, for a total of six (digital) monitors, only five connected right now.

The nice thing about the matrox is that the same driver powers both cards - real easy to install.

nitro

#19     Mar 9, 2002
  10. uptick:

the short answer is: probably. Some combinations work and some don't. All you can do is try. Plug the new card in, hook up the monitor, and let windows find and install the new hardware. It very likely will work fine. Good luck, email me if it doesn't work and I'll try and give you hand.

#20     Mar 9, 2002