PC took long time to boot up, help please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Learner, Aug 19, 2005.

1. OK...

What you need is a hard drive with 10,000 RPMs instead of 7,200 RPMs.

Thats all you need and your computer is quick as a lightning.

#11     Aug 19, 2005
  2. You have to replace it yourself since most computers your buy are 72s.

#12     Aug 19, 2005
  3. Learner

Learner

A Big thank you for your tips! Sincerely.

B4 the big Windows screen. To be sure I will timing it….
    It ring the bell, I will check it. As I have a few removable device share an USB port, an USB disk, handwriting pat, a web cam…..thanks saico.

Will quote a 10K spin HD.
    I am on XP professional, thank you for the advice. I will follow up the points….

#13     Aug 19, 2005
  4. Just a few additional thoughts.

1. Some software, Norton AV for instance, will occasionally finish an update/install on the next boot. Same for many of Microsoft's patches.

So if you updated your AV or installed a MS patch, that could easily account for it. Note that some AV updates happen in the background without you asking for it.

2. Some versions of XP Pro come with boot time defragmentation (directory consolidation). That could take a long time

3. Filesystem check: if you didn't shut down properly, or if Windows "hung" during shutdown, the filesystem will go through a check, which can be slow.

#14     Aug 19, 2005
  5. Start with this.... unplug all USB devices from your machine except your mouse/keyboard. Restart the machine and see what happens. If it loads faster, then one of the devices you are plugging in requires a driver update. You really don't need a new HD; I don't think this is the problem. I'm suspecting that a piece of hardware you have attached is causing your machine to wait for a timeout sequence.

Write back when you have done this.

#15     Aug 19, 2005
  6. Typhoon

Typhoon

Are you getting any error messages? What are they?
    Did you just recently upgrade to service pack 2 for xp?
    Have you defraged your hd?

#16     Aug 20, 2005
  7. If you hate slo boots, try Linux.
    Programs run faster too.

#17     Aug 20, 2005
  8. Learner

Learner

My PC is working normal now.

I believe Omni's tip helped. It likely to be a registry "tidy up" boost the PC up.

Lucky of having a bunch of warm hearted ETers.

Learner:)

#18     Aug 20, 2005
  9. Here's 2 free utilities to monitor what's running on a computer.

Hijack This is generally used via a scan to see if any hijack/malware software has been installed on the computer in addition to the generated list of programs loaded at startup. Malware may be able to be removed by selecting item and 'Fix checked', otherwise sites such as Computer Cops may need to be consulted for detailed removal instructions.
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

System Tracker is very comprehensive realtime audit of ongoing computer processes with the ability to 'effectively disable selected processes from running on the machine, regardless of location by using the NoStart tab'.
    http://downloads.suntimes.com/product.php[id]87029[cid]62[SiteID]suntimes

#19     Aug 20, 2005
  10. try this

start > run > chkdsk /f

then reboot

also try msconfig and see if you have something unusual in your startup list

#20     Aug 20, 2005