PC - shutdown or leave running?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dpanic, Jun 20, 2003.

1. I'd imagine you could just turn off your modem and/or disconnect your router to prevent that.

#11     Jun 20, 2003
  2. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

agree.. i keep all my pcs on all the time, w/zonalarm and sygate etc.. and turn off the monitors only when not using them.. so far so good.. 3 pcs over 3 years left on all the time and no hardware failures.. though a $120/mo electric bill lol..

ken

#12     Jun 20, 2003
  3. nitro

nitro

Most of the wear and tear on a machine is from turning it on and off. If your machine is properly cooled, and you do not mind the extra cost of leaving it on, don't shut it down.

Do turn your monitors off though.

nitro

#13     Jun 20, 2003
  4. Well, I guess I'll chime in(markets slow anyway).

I've had this computer I'm running on now about 4 years...700mhz Slot A athlon...hehe. I shut mine down
    every night, and reboot in the mornings. No problems...(knocking
    on wood).

BTW...I'm getting ready to build my first computer. These are
    the parts I'm gonna get...any comments?

• Case...Antec
    • MB...MSI K7N2-L
    • CPU...XP 2200
    • DDR...crucial 512mb pc2700
    • Harddr...60 GB Seagate Barracuda
    • DVD...pioneer 16X
    • Video...ATI 9600 pro

And I'll just move my cdrw and stuff from this computer. I'm trying to keep it under a $1000.00

#14     Jun 20, 2003
  5. TGregg

TGregg

Get a Lian-Li case instead of the Antec one. They cost more, but they are way better. The friend that advised me to build with one said "Once you build one of these, you won't go back to that cheap stuff" and he was right.

#15     Jun 20, 2003
  6. nitro

nitro

Not bad.

I prefer these components:

http://www.supermicro.com

nitro

#16     Jun 20, 2003
  7. TGregg

TGregg

Here's the case I got:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=100613

Except mine is the PC-70, which is aluminum, with brushed aluminum finish (not black). $173 with free shipping via Pricewatch. You'll build your new systems in this case.

I do not remember what vendor I ordered it from.

My other case is an Enlight PoS. I think it was $60 and it isn't even worth that. Sharky Extreme recommended that PoS (now even Sharky has switched over to Lian Li).

#17     Jun 20, 2003