PC or MAC for Trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ess1096, Jun 23, 2006.

1. I think the glaring point in all of this is the level of additional vendor connections that the MAIN, everyday person will work with isn't rushing to put out MAC versions of their stuff. Web ~ Apache stuff running Quake, Half-Life, Madden 07? I don't think so.

Same is to be said for UNIX/Linux. We're talking about platforms that require more concentration and involvement than the masses are going to put into these things. The argument of "better" needs to be turned into "Out-of-the-Box!," average user friendly. As a whole, they don't buy computers to learn how to manipulate OS anything. That truly is the key. You guys are arguing over the best way to steal third base, while standing in the batters box!

You also have to take into consideration the existing user marketplace. While YOU may understand the ease/ability to convert things over, public perception will not align itself that way. Hell, we can't even get the developer/installation community to agree on that yet. That argument alone will insure that the solid "PC's Only" world will not meld away anytime soon.

In a climate of corporate cost cutting, MAC is trying to argue the need for corporations to spend $1,200 verses $500 for PC's who's flaw is that they might need to be rebooted twice a week. All basically for the sake of helping ~ MAC have a market in corporate America?

EA Games has no new development link for MAC based nothing. How many gaming titles does Microsoft directly/indirectly control again? Microsoft is announcing that it is making adjustment in the Office suite to smoothly integrate onto the new MAC OS's in what upcoming press release? The current MAC argument of "We Can Use Theirs's Too!" can generally be buttressed rather easily.

So, let's talk about next generation loyalty penetration. MAC's are making kid games and word processing software available on their new, low cost line of hardware where again?

The openings are there. Walking through them is just not desired right now. You're going to have to take the existing hardware and install the new MAC OS onto it. Of course should you accomplish this, then you really don't need MAC hardware (hmm!). To hell with the MAC hardware, go for attacking/replacing the soft underbelly of Windows itself. Make the OS easy to install and operate on the PC.

You say the MAC OS is less cumbersome. Great! Needs less to do more? That's even better! It plays nice with Novell, Unix, Linux, Apache, AND various flavors of Windows? The IT department is then good to go. Older hardware can now get more mileage? I'm loving that if I'm a bean counter with a tight company budget.

Now, as an outside consultant, you will have then given me a true reason to look into this new viable OS as the possible answer to challenges that makes "operations" and "fiscal" sense. Do that and maybe, just maybe... :)

#41     Jul 4, 2006
  2. CTTrader

CTTrader

Back to the original question: PC or MAC for trading.

MAC is a great computer. I prefer it for all functions where adequate software is available. Unfortunately, trading is one of the areas that has very little software for a MAC. At the present time, using a MAC for trading will severely limit your options.

Since I've switched to from a data feed and brokerage that supported MAC to one that doesn't my MAC is useless for trading. However, I do use it for my news feed.

Also, someone metioned that a Dell will support 10 monitors. That is not correct. I spoke with 3 different reps at Dell. Dell will only deliver a computer that will support 2 monitors. If you want it to do more you have to change the video card after you receive it. The cost/hassle of doing that is not worth it to many people and the price is then very close to a custom built machine of higher quality.

#42     Jul 5, 2006