PC or MAC for Trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ess1096, Jun 23, 2006.

1. got a mac and am very happy; never ever crashed on me and i sleep well at night knowin' nobody has ever gotten infected by a virus yet and the fact keyloggers are more likely to attack windows due to more vulnerability and popularity.
    also the icons and graphics [and screen resolution quality] are definetly superior, overall a much more pleasant experience doin' business trough mac.

#11     Jun 24, 2006
  2. Adobian

Adobian

Could you let me know what it takes to make $75 fixing Windows machines ? I would like to do this. But where to start ? Thanks.

#12     Jun 24, 2006
  3. BTW, I'm not totally against the Mac. I'd consider getting a Mac Mini if they came out with a home theater edition.

Put a DVD burner, tivo functionality, and start offering HD quality movies on iTunes using high compression format, then you're talking my language.

Mac Mini's size would be perfect for this application.

Also, Apple could rule the silly next generation DVD wars by not concentrating on a physical DVD format but a high compression file format that everyone can take advantage of by using existing DVD dual layer discs or just downloading the movies and playing it right from the Mac Mini. The best part is the Mac Mini would still cost less than a Blu-Ray player or PS3.

#13     Jun 24, 2006
  4. PC...no doubt about it for trading...

multi media...publishing....graphic arts design and such, Video, filmmaking edititing and so on...MAC

#14     Jun 24, 2006
  5. GTS

GTS

You need to find customers who are clueless, have money and also don't have a single friend who understands computers that would help them for free. I suspect these are a dying breed.

#15     Jun 24, 2006
  6. why not buy that Volkwagon Bug franchise...Geek squad...

#16     Jun 24, 2006
  7. ess1096

ess1096

Thanks for all the replies. I'll stick with a PC since there doesn't seem to be any real advantage to trading on a Mac.

Don

account#88888

#17     Jun 24, 2006
  8. IMHO, the reason that there have not been as many conflict problems with the MAC platform (crashing and the sort) is the problem that we're all understanding. Limited software products that were being made for Apple by the software vendors.

In a way, the ability of MAC's to run Windows products is a corporate admission of that very fact. The only way to get support was to give in and make their platform dual capable. And even in this, they still will fall short.

My Win XP clients have become competent in system operations. Crashing is minimal in the over 8,000 machines that I can directly speak to. And let's be clear, crashing totally is what I am speaking to here. On my personal systems (at home and in the office), I have not crashed for over nine months easily. And they are all used heavily.

Here is another factor, MAC is home on MAC. Windows is home on Dell, HP, IBM, Toshiba, Sony, Acer, etc. Problems should be expected for that very factor. Anyone try to run the MAC OS anywhere else? Successfully? Unix, Linux, and the various flavors are all more competent. But they too suffered/suffer from vendor support as it relates to the masses.

As it stands, for most of the world and the universe of work right out of the box programs, there is only one flavor. Grin Mr. Gates! :)

#18     Jun 24, 2006
  9. nitro

nitro

My gawd. Are you drinking when you type this crap? You don't know what you are talking about.

Go back to changing the paper in the printer cartridge - that is the extent of your computer skills.

nitro

#19     Jun 24, 2006
  10. Stepped on your precious MAC again. Me so sorry! But that still won't change the reality, DOC. Have a great day! :)

#20     Jun 24, 2006