PC Microphone Amplifier??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bungrider, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Hi,

Since switching to a shuttle SS40G PC, which has integrated audio, I've been having a problem with my microphone. The sound level for the mic is not loud enough.

I've gone into the application that uses the mic, as well as all sound drivers and settings, and despite the fact that the mic boost is all the way up, and the mic sound level is also all the way up, the sound is not nearly as loud as it was on my old PC.

I've also tried using a brand new mic, and that didn't make any difference either.

Does anyone know if there is an amplifier that one can buy to amplify the mic before it goes into the PC?? This seems like my only hope...

Thanks in advance,

2. On the Windows mixer control is a +20db boost checkbox for the microphone. It will certainly increase the mike's gain.

3. if you're talking about when you click the advanced toolbar (has a little picture of a hammer and something else on it) from the mixer, and then choosing the options tab, and then clicking the little box to enable mic boost, i already have that enabled...

4. try the line-in jack instead of the one labelled MIC. Maybe it has higher gain.

Other than that, maybe you'll need a powered (pre-amplified) mike

5. unfortunately, i do not have one. the ss40g only has a mic jack. the rest of the audio jacks are devoted to 6-channel sound...

as i don't want to spend $80+ on a pre-amp because i am CHEAP, i may go to radio shack and try to build one for $10. i've always wanted to go to radio shack and build something anyway. i doubt it'll work, but $10 is cheap for 2-3 days of challenging amusement...

thanks anyway

6. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

One time I had my mic hooked up through an extension and there was nothing I could do to get the sound up. Tried different mics and everything. Got rid of the extension and it was fine. Tried different extension cables too, but that didn't help.

7. I've used many mikes, cheap and expensive, even those freebies that come with some hardware. Every one has had more than enough gain to overload my soundcard even on a mid-slider setting.

Sounds like your MoBo's integrated audio is impotent, not your mike

8. yeah, no kidding. :D like i said, trying two different mics had no effect, so maybe i'll badger shuttle and see if they can do something about it...

9. igsi

igsi

Unfortunately you do. What you have is a Line-in jack marked as Microphone. That's exactly why you need pre-amplifier: to up your mic's voltage level (about -60 to -90 db) to Line Level (-10 db)

as i don't want to spend $80+ on a pre-amp because i am CHEAP

Well, if you want to be cheap you gotta be creative too. Try this. Plug your mic into the Stereo or BoomBox, load a cassette, and put it into Record. Hook up the Headphone jack output of the Stereo into your PC using appropriate cord. That should work.