PC Fan Noise...can I leave case open?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VinnyB, May 22, 2010.

1. Did you check your CPU usage when the fan was loud? Sounds like there might be a software problem causing the fan to run loud. I had an 8250 and several 8300s.. and never had the loud fan problem you describe... except when software was causing the CPU to run 100%

My 8300s were the quietest I've owned since case fans were standard. (2.8 Ghz CPU... the 3.0 and faster ran hotter and therefore faster and louder fan.)

#11     May 23, 2010
  2. I would add some more fans if possible. I run Zalman 120mm case fans and they are almost silent. Make sure you have good air flow. Tie all cables up and out of the way. add a fan to the front of the case if you don't have one already. Try to keep a couple of slots on the Mobo clear below the vid card. If you really want silent go water cooled. ;)

#12     May 23, 2010
  3. volente_00

volente_00

Have you tried cleaning the fan or replacing it with a new stock one ?

#13     May 24, 2010
  4. VinnyB

VinnyB

Wow...thanks for keeping this going. Some great suggestions.

It's not a software/CPU spiking issue and yes...I have installed a new fan - several.

It's a heat buildup issue caused by my Nvidia GeForce ti4200 card.

As suggested by another poster, I already tried the NVS280 card but had problems with the Nvidia desktop manager. There is a flaw in the driver [I Googled]. When you click on the Nvidia Desktop manager icon, the screen blanks for a second [or two] before it comes back on. Apparently others report the same issue. I have 3 different Nvidia cards and that's the only one that does that.

I have two cards installed now and the ti4200 is the one causing the heat buildup. What's happening is it's heating up the interior and causing the fan, which has a temperature control on it to spin at a high speed which in turn vibrates the case and also the green plastic curved shroud. The shroud is needed to capture heat from the processor and expel the hot air out through the back [see pic in the first post].

I have done everything to reduce the vibration and the only answer was [and is] to keep the case cracked open to reduce the heat. I tried just removing two pci slot covers and clearing up the space b/n the ti4200 and the other card but the heat buildup was the same. I've been running the PC for the past two days with the case cracked open and I can barely hear it. Apparently that case just sucks for ventilation.

Adding a constant RPM fan will also solve the problem and be quieter but won't be fast enough to expel the heat buildup should it get too hot in there. Catch 22.

I might just replace the ti4200.

Thanks again ET! Funny that I got more [and better] responses here than on a PC tech forum...really appreciate it.

V.

#14     May 25, 2010
  5. My Vostro does that annoying whining sound do. I finally bought some extension cables for the monitors, keyboard, mouse and stuck it in the closet.

#15     May 25, 2010
  6. Sorry to be a buzz kill but you would prefer to have it closed than open all else being the same.

There is a reason why computer cases are made of metal or have metal sheets on plastic inside of them. EMR may be an issue

EMR = electromagnetic radiation

Pretty low dose so I think its up to debate to how much damage it does but there is no doubt it does some damage (as my foot rests on my HP)

I don't know the numbers anymore but I would guess if your fine having a cell phone up to your head a few hours a day than the amount coming out of your box probably won't bother you (in the sense of worry) either.

For sure EMR will not harm you more than being long BP the last few days has harmed me though......LOL

#16     May 25, 2010
  7. I always thought computer cases were made of metal in order to act as ground and protect components from static electricity... ??

Unless the case were sealed, wouldn't any EMR leak out through the openings??

#17     May 25, 2010
  8. Bob111

Bob111

#18     May 25, 2010
  9. That doesn't sound right. I used 280 cards for several years and never had such issues. Besides, Nvidia updates drivers frequently... could they have had version after version and never fix such a problem?

Sounds more like a problem with the particular 280 card you had, or other.

Also, what is in the Nvidia Desktop manager you actually need? I never used it... only thing I can think of is to rotate the monitors to portrait mode, if applicable.

#19     May 25, 2010
  10. VinnyB

VinnyB

Don't like the idea of EMR. LOL. Maybe I WILL close the case.

I cruised around on Youtube searching "pc fan noise" - wow! Think maybe I'm being a little too anal here. I've just been comparing mine to my g/f's new Dell and I bought my Pop a new Dell as well. Can't even tell they're on.

Regarding the Desktop manager, I tried different drivers and all the same. You're SC...the only time I needed it was to change the portrait/landscape setting and adjust color, etc. so I'm not in there much, if at all now. It wasn't just using the desktop manager...even when I right click desktop and go to properties to change screen size, etc., the screens would blank for a few. I just thought it was screwy so I took the card out and replaced with the ti4200. Maybe the 280 WAS bad.

Actually jficquette has the right idea. If I move the PC out of the desk and onto the carpet away from where I sit, that might do it. If I put on some tunes, I don't hear it but when I'm reviewing charts and/or want peace and quiet to concentrate, it's like a bee beneath my feet. Been using earplugs but that's no way to live. LOL.

Thanks again for all the great ideas. I'm going to remove the ti4200 just to confirm that's where all the heat is coming from and see if the fan kicks in again. If it does, maybe go back to the NVS280.

V.

#20     May 25, 2010