PC cases

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mktman, Oct 26, 2003.

1. kowboy

kowboy

I checked out the site on the power supplies. It does not indicate the noise level of the fan. Is yours quiet?

Thanks

#31     Oct 29, 2003
  2. Yeah, my powersupply is pretty quiet.

However, my Dell 8300 has gotten a lot noisier since I added a 64mb NVdia PCI slot video card by Mad Dog to support a 3rd monitor. The video card comes with its own cooling fan and it makes a fairly loud and constant "whir" noise.

Dell's are pretty darn quiet to begin with.
    But this video card has certainly made my PC pretty loud.

By the way, the power supply from PC Power & Cooling is expensive. But as you can tell by their price list, anything above 350 watts basically doubles in price. My new power supply supports a +12V rail of 20Amps, which is 240 watts and a +3.3V rail of 40Amps, which is 132 watts.

Remember, your +12V rail supports yourPprocessor and all of your Case fans and Drives and you need to figure that a typical Pentium 4 running at 2.60 has peak power requirements of approximately 111 watts.

Your Memory or RAM is supported by the +3.3V rail and you need to figure ( again, at peak demand ) that it takes 8 watts for every 128MB of RAM. This rail is also responsible for supporting your AGP video card as well.

Your standard AGP slot video card can require anywhere from 30-50 watts, and the gaming cards such as ATI's Radeon 9800 Pro can command as much as 75 watts of power during intense gaming. This is why ALL of your video card manufacturers require power supply units of ATLEAST 350 watts when using their high grade "gaming" cards.

So as you can see, demand for watts can add up pretty quickly!
    The power supply might not be the most glamorous part of your rig, but it certainly is one of the most important!

And remember, you usually get what you pay for!

:)

#32     Oct 29, 2003
  3. Uses a 37 CFM ball bearing fan that produces 42 decibels.

:)

#33     Oct 29, 2003
  4. mktman

mktman

Is the Antec Performance Plusview 1000 AMG Server case a good choice to build a new system with?

Will be using several video cards and Raid 1 with several hd's.
    Thx.

mktsurf

#34     Nov 2, 2003