Payout Structure Questions at Interview

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by mjc279, Oct 23, 2002.

1. 1) There's a certain style that's suitable for prop trading, and places like Heartland teach that style. More size, more scalping, more tickets. You couldn't trade that way as a customer because the commissions would kill you, but trading prop that way rewards you.

2) Heartland retains GOOD trades because you don't HAVE to trade prop. You have 3 options at the point you become a GOOD trader... you can trade prop, you can trade semi-prime (put up your own money, get 10-1 buying power, negotiate a ticket deal, and take home 80%), or trade completely as a customer (put up at least 50k, get only 4-1 buying power, negotiate a ticket deal, and take home 100%).

As you can see, Heartland is a very flexible firm. There's really no reason to go elsewhere unless you negotiate a MUCH better ticket deal.

#21     Oct 26, 2002
  2. I agree with momo's comments. Plus, there's a sense of camaraderie among the experienced traders. Alot of them are long time friends and they hang out together and trade similar styles. Why skip to another firm that has unfamiliar faces?

#22     Oct 26, 2002
  3. Daytrading is different, you should definately find out on the first interview. Rarely is there a second interview. If they like you, they'll offer right there.

#23     Oct 28, 2002
  4. What is this ticket deal ? People still pay tickets ?

#24     Oct 28, 2002
  5. Payout vs Commissions is probably one of the most important characteristics of the job.

Not asking about it during an interview would make you look desparate. Remember - when a firm hires you - you are the manufacturer of money. And you need to know your cut.

#25     Oct 31, 2002
  6. Bryan Roberts

Bryan Roberts Guest

ivy grads and the like!!! lol lol lol....or college dropouts from what i hear which personally i find nothing wrong with. i've come across several traders that were considering going with heartland... they said the salary/draw only last a short time. also, heartland is new to listed stocks and therefore their software is more focused to nasdaq. one guy i talked with that traded for them said the commissions were a little high. their personnel has made some rather arrogant statements such as, "we're going to put all the other shops out of business." good luck.

#26     Oct 31, 2002