Paying off mortgage

Discussion in 'Economics' started by stevegee58, Feb 6, 2017.

1. ironchef

ironchef

As I said because I could. I did not say I had no debt. I have margin accounts, I have mortgages on my investment properties..... But I don't borrow to purchase depreciable assets like my auto or boat.

I am not trying to argue, but as Sle said, there were good debts and bad debts. As an investor/trader we need to recognize which is which in order to prosper.

Regards,

#61     Feb 7, 2017
  2. Overnight

Overnight

Yeah, I do not fear Tony coming to my house to break my kneecaps if I do not pay off my loan. But lol, methinks this thread is getting a bit too off-kilter at this point. I blame myself for bringing up alternative viewpoints, not backed by science.

#62     Feb 7, 2017
  3. ironchef

ironchef

#63     Feb 7, 2017
  4. algofy

algofy

Eventually all debts must be paid back or go bankrupt. How is this a simplistic world view?

#64     Feb 7, 2017
  5. Well you could borrow the money, live off it, then die of old age.
    Wouldn't care much at that point.

#65     Feb 7, 2017
  6. luisHK

luisHK

many debts get renegociated in better terms for the debtor, sometimes to oblivion, and bankrupcies are not necessarily as much a disaster for the debtor as for the creditor, especially when they concern corporations, a fact that helps a lot the renegociation of the debt

#66     Feb 7, 2017
  7. jj90

jj90

You answered your own question as did @stevegee58.

#67     Feb 7, 2017
  8. Pff. I was being facetious of course.

#68     Feb 7, 2017
  9. ironchef

ironchef

I actually agree with you 100% on this and that is the other reason I don't carry a mortgage on the house I live in.

Best wishes.

#69     Feb 7, 2017
  10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Sounds great...but....

Lets say you share a home with your spouse. They can go after the home and throw her/him out on the street because you had an unpaid debt involving the home ? This is why I mention some types of insurance policies on the home will pay in case of debt by the owner with love ones still living in the home.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that a woman with 80k in student loan debts had died and the student loan agency went after her husband for the unpaid debt.

If this is true or close to the truth...doesn't make sense to accumulate more debt in their golden years if they're still married. Thus, marital status and age seems to have an impact about if the debt accumulation is ok or not ok.

#70     Feb 7, 2017