Paulson does it again! loses his customers another 18%

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Mar 8, 2013.

1. 1990s was a bull market. Rising tides lift all boats. :)

#11     Apr 2, 2013
  2. nkhoi

nkhoi

true, now is stormy market

#12     Apr 2, 2013
  3. Mtrader

Mtrader

Yes, maybe stupid, but surely very rich. This cannot be said about most stupid investors. They are more like...... poor. :)

#13     Apr 2, 2013
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Before 2008, Paulson was running a several hundred million risk arb fund. He has a long and successful track record building a net worth well over 100MM.

He hit the big trade and blew up to a size that required a different investing style which he hasn't adapted well too.

#14     Apr 2, 2013
  5. +1

Some say he got the idea direct from Burry, but it took incredible balls to average into those CDS markets. AUM increased 100-fold. Yeah, $30B is a tough figure to earn on. Guy managing $30B plus (at the peak) is a loser. Gotta love this site populated with bus drivers.

#15     Apr 2, 2013
  6. zdreg

zdreg

you are insulting bus drivers which is an an honorable profession. jackie gleason on the honeymooners is a genius compared to the ET general population.

#16     Apr 2, 2013
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, balls for sure, but he was risking other people's money and he had already made 100 million for himself in the previous 2 decades, but I wonder how much of his own money he risked...

Now when AUM increases so fast that means that he can actually lose way more than what he made in the previous good years...

Data: 2009 :"Paulson & Co.’s funds (with an estimated $36 billion under management and growing by the day) were up a staggering $15 billion as the markets teetered in 2007; one fund gained 590 percent, another 353 percent."

http://upstart.bizjournals.com/exec...ohn-Paulson-Profits-in-Downturn.html?page=all

#17     Apr 2, 2013
  8. I've never been a bus driver (don't like people) but I owned a couple of trucks and ran coast to coast. otherwise, I lost 25% of my account in just ten days in FEB 2013 trying to short that USD, so 18% doesn't look too bad to me. Glad they don't write articles about me, and glad I have enough money I don't need management fees to pay the bills. (and I manage a little money for friends and family, one of them was in on that forex trade. I am getting very good at changing the subject whenever he calls.)

#18     Apr 2, 2013
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

He can lose more dollars because a lot of investors flocked to him. That was their problem.

I bet he had a significant amount of personal money in that fund.

Risk arb isn't about swinging a big stick - it's about being thorough and avoiding bad trades. He must have had enormous conviction. The trade took years. He was bleeding all those years.

#19     Apr 2, 2013
  10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I admit to not knowing a lot about the guy, but a lot of it seems like good "branding" to me.

#20     Apr 2, 2013