Paul Tudor Jones

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bentedges, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Millionaire

Millionaire

In the third vid he has problems getting a fill for 60 million in the overnight FX market.

Nowadays any retail trader cant get that much in a few seconds (assuming they have the margin).

#21     Jul 26, 2009
  2. jnbadger

jnbadger

Good vid.

But as soon as I registered, I received some bullshit email (in addition to the legit one) which asked me to click on a link to confirm my email address.

Be careful out there.

Landis, in what capacity did you work for him?

#22     Jul 26, 2009
  3. FM Quotrek from Data Broadcasting (Esignal). Excellent product. 9600baud and scrolling feature. 4 tickers per page.

#23     Jul 26, 2009
  4. I was part of his small "turtle" trading group called Bellweather. I also was his floor broker on the COMEX for one year and every time I opened my mouth with one of his orders the "unit size" was good for 250 contracts.

I made a lot of new "friends" in the ring that way . . . But I also made some enemies from guys who thought that I was "bullying" the ring with his orders when I was doing my own trading.

But it didn't really matter.

I wasn't the only large broker in the ring back then. You had Mel Schnell's brokerage operation. Mel was the largest spread trader in gold and silver ever, back in the heyday. You had Bobby Moss who was the floor broker for Richard Dennis and C&D. You had Mark Belsanti who executed for Willis-Jenkins out of Chicago. You had Heinholz back then ( which later merged with Geldermann) and you also had a lot of Asia-Pacific orders flowing through the likes of floor broker's Charlie Federbush and Preston Semel. You also had the likes of large traders such as Mark Fisher and Mark Dickstein coming in and out of the gold and silver rings.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/08/business/jury-acts-in-commodity-inquiry.html

Obviously, I came into the Comex about 6 years too late and the metals ( and gold and silver ) were totally DEAD except for maybe two months out of the year. If you didn't make your money during those two months, you were screwed. Talk about summer "duldrums"... There were times when gold was locked in a $2.00 range for nearly an entire month. People did crossword puzzles to bide their time. One day, someone went downstairs and bought a blow up beach ball to "bat-around" in the ring until one of the floor officials got rid of it.

:)

#24     Jul 26, 2009
  5. bighog

bighog Guest

Yep, Quotrek , fm. I went downtown to a Bill Clinton for pres rally in Chicago and had a Quotrek. Could not get the quotes from the CBOT a few blocks away because of the tall buildings, ha.

The good news though was that Bill won. :)

#25     Jul 26, 2009
  6. Clinton carried a Metriplex Global 24 to monitor GovPx cash bonds during his first term.

#26     Jul 26, 2009
  7. Ahhhhhh... the days of the old Quotrek.
    My buddy had one up in Newport, Rhode Island during the summers. Not bad!

#27     Jul 26, 2009
  8. just saved the series to my comp :D

#28     Jul 26, 2009
  9. Where is poor Marketsurfer going to get the money for alimony and child support now?

He must have sold "the only copy" about 100 times!

#29     Jul 26, 2009
  10. aradiel

aradiel

Funny to watch him bitting nails, I guess he is human like the rest.

#30     Jul 26, 2009