Paul Tudor Jones--- Ultra Rare Autograph

Discussion in 'Trading' started by marketsurfer, Dec 18, 2007.

1. A speculator is interested in being right vs. wrong. a trader is interested in making money. A speculator can be right and lose lots of money.

#21     Dec 20, 2007
  2. I guess that would make him a spectaculator.

Still waiting for an answer, surf...

#22     Dec 20, 2007

3. laying in bed with the raven haired quant, however, i shall take the time to enlighten you to the best of my ability at this time.

a trader can speculate and a speculator can trade but a trader and a speculator are different animals.

a speculator accepts the risk of not knowing what's going to occur and bases decisions on a wide array of information, often for the longer term. tracy is correct in his post, also, a speculator can be correct yet lose money--- whereas a trader is right or wrong based solely on wins/losses.

a trader, on the other hand, generally bases decisions on short term price movements and other ethereal indicators looking to take quick profits/losses via agiotage.

noise traders, in particular, are not speculators---

regards,

surf

#23     Dec 20, 2007
  4. Me thinks marketsurfer might have blown up. He's selling all his "treasures" on Ebay.

#24     Dec 20, 2007
  5. It could be that Mrs. Surfer and Mr Surfer have indeed parted ways...thus the need for a Surfer asset (gaffaw) dump. But I have no info on that...that's simply random speculation. Which I hope isn't true.

#25     Dec 20, 2007
  6. Unless I am mistaken, that's a rather homespun definition, held together by duct tape. Would you kindly point me to the source of your comparative definitions? I think it would make for interesting reading.

#26     Dec 21, 2007

7. wikipedia has a decent article on "speculator".

however, i believe i am breaking new ground here in publication.

regards,

surf

#27     Dec 21, 2007
  8. Just be sure to watch for the septic tank.
    :p

#28     Dec 21, 2007
  9. As someone who used to work for PTJ back in 1986 ( I have his signature too :D )
    I would say that Paul is fairly removed from trading these days . . .

My vote for greatest trader of all time goes to Stevie Cohen, bar none.

#29     Dec 21, 2007
  10. yes.....its a toss up. I agree.

surf

#30     Dec 21, 2007