Paul Krugman Turns Down Secretary of Treasury Job...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Jan 7, 2013.

1. pspr

pspr

...In his own mind.

In a blog post on the New York Times website, columnist Paul Krugman says no to serving as treasury secretary. Which is funny because he was never offered the job anyway.

"Yes, I’ve heard about the notion that I should be nominated as Treasury Secretary. I’m flattered, but it really is a bad idea," writes Krugman.

The first reason Krugman lists is, he admits, that he's "indeed the World’s Worst Administrator — and that does matter."

The second reason: "Oh, and there’s not a chance that I would be confirmed."

But the foremost reason, according to the guy who was never offered the job in the first place, "is that it would mean taking me out of a quasi-official job that I believe I’m good at and putting me into one I’d be bad at."

And, by his own admission, Krugman's better at playing the "outside" game than the inside one. He writes, "The New York Times isn’t just some newspaper somewhere, it’s the nation’s paper of record. As a result, being an op-ed columnist at the Times is a pretty big deal — one I’m immensely grateful to have been granted — and those who hold the position, if they know how to use it effectively, have a lot more influence on national debate than, say, most senators. Does anyone doubt that the White House pays attention to what I write?"

Working for Obama, rather than the Times, would be a step down. "By my reckoning, then, an administration job, no matter how senior, would actually reduce my influence, leaving me unable to say publicly what I really think and all too probably finding myself unable to make headway in internal debates," writes Krugman.

Which is why he is going to stick with his current job. Instead of going to the one that was never offered to him in the first place.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...etary-job-wasnt-offered-it-anyway_694067.html

2. jem

jem

I hereby decline the job of vice president.

3. Lucrum

Lucrum

What, you don't like getting falling down drunk?

4. I'm sure the freedom to take 5 different positions simultaneously on any issue like he does now would be a real drag to give up.

5. No,I'm more of a prop me up guy and "leave me the hell alone" type.:D

PS: and keep everything more hazardous than a spork outta sight.

6. :D

7. pspr

pspr

And, all of them wrong. :D

8. Yeah kinda thought the obvious was a given.:D

9. pspr

pspr

You have to remember that there are those here who think people like Obama and Krugman are the best thing since sliced cheese. It needs to be pointed out to those people or they will miss the point.