Paul Krugman is Still Selling a Fake Alien Invasion as a Boost to the Economy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JamesL, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Ricter

Ricter

Energy, down. Food, down. Gold, down. Treasuries, down. (Ok, houses, up.) Suddenly, speculators don't seem to think there's any returns out there. Hmm. It's like, like, some other factor has more weight in the equation. What could that be? Hmm.

#31     Jun 26, 2012
  2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

The banks believe they can trade their way back. Actually, to call them banks is rather misleading, as many do not have the traditional model. Can you tell me where the nearest Goldman Sachs branch is so I can open a checking account?

They call themselves banks to get bank treatment. But they're really hedge funds with direct Fed access. Borrow all the money you want at near zero rates and use it to buy Treasuries that yield a point or two higher. It's free money - quite literally. Then take that money and speculate on commodities and the stock market. Rinse/repeat. Why lend when you take a risk on not being repaid? The Fed has encouraged this behavior, despite claiming the opposite.

If they had not been bailed out, we would have had a much deeper, much shorter recession, and been on our way to prosperity by now. Rigged markets simply do not work.

#32     Jun 27, 2012
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Oh? Please educate us. What is that other factor that has weight in the equation?

Do you even understand what the relationship is to commodities being down AND Treasuries being down?

Houses are up? Against what?

Looking forward to you answering any or all of these questions - just this once.

#33     Jun 27, 2012
  4. I agree with what you're saying, but I think it would have been really, really ugly had we just let the whole thing come crashing down. Tens of thousands of businesses that managed to hang on would have closed. Tens of millions more people would have lost their jobs. America would have burned, literally. The risk of a complete meltdown of our society was just too great.
    The real probelm was the free money was/is not being managed properly by those giving the money away. That would be our glorious political representatives.

#34     Jun 27, 2012
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I think you are severely overestimating the impact it would have had. Regardless, we will be able to see what would have happened when it actually does happen. The day of reckoning has only been pushed back, not avoided. Eventually, since we never fixed anything but instead created zombie institutions bent on risk taking, these TBTF banks will break again. This time, we won't be able to bail them out and we'll have to see what happens.

#35     Jun 27, 2012
  6. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X2qbUZCryLU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#36     Jun 27, 2012
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

But it won't be, that's just it :) It'll probably seem like the end of the world for the big banks, and those who live off them. No mistaking it will be very hard. But the system will adapt and survive if LEFT ALONE. If the politicians mess with it and the fed tries to prolong the sick system without finally putting a stop to the risk taking, then all bets are off and it quite possibly could be.

#37     Jun 27, 2012
  8. I don't think we can dismiss, and I'm not implying that you are, the consequences of this at the street level. There will be violence and bloodshed that won't be easily contained.

#38     Jun 27, 2012
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Walk me through how you get to violence and bloodshed from a banking collapse.

Not disagreeing. Just curious how you get from one to the other.

#39     Jun 27, 2012
  10. Sorta like the TSA following 9/11?

#40     Jun 27, 2012