Paul Krugman Declares Personal Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, May 30, 2013.

1. Ricter

Ricter

Deflation fears return as Japan's money-printing rages unabated!

Japan deflation persists, industrial output falls
    By ELAINE KURTENBACH | Associated Press – 9 hrs ago

"TOKYO (AP) — Japan's core consumer price index fell 0.4 percent in April from a year earlier, while industrial production also weakened, the government reported Friday.

"The data offer scant evidence of a rebound, though officials say the economy is on the cusp of a recovery and should show stronger gains by midyear.

"Industrial production fell 2.3 percent from a year earlier though it was up a seasonally adjusted 1.7 percent from the month before. The strongest gains were in autos and other transport equipment and in electronic components and devices, according to the Ministry of Economy, Industry and Trade.

"Despite recent turmoil in financial markets, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has vowed to persist in aggressive monetary easing and stimulus spending aimed at helping Japan break out of deflation, or falling prices, that has contributed to two decades of economic stagnation.

"No action, no growth," he declared to a group of economic experts gathered this week in Tokyo to assess his "Abenomics" policies.

"Japan's benchmark Nikkei 225 stock index was trading 2.1 percent higher early Friday after tumbling 5.2 percent the day before, as investors responded to retreats in other major markets.

"Abe characterized recent market gyrations as "routine financial phenomena."

"We must not allow ourselves to be distracted and intimidated by the crisis conditions we face," said economy minister Akira Amari.

"Though the Nikkei remains around 30 percent higher for the year, boosted by optimism over the Bank of Japan's unprecedented monetary easing, it's down 13 percent from its peak on May 22, reflecting doubt over whether the government's economic strategy can extricate the country from years of economic malaise.

"The prospect of more yen in circulation, which is intended to boost inflation, has weighed on the currency. The yen has fallen sharply to the relief of the country's exporters and that weakening is pushing up prices, in yen terms, for imported crude oil and other commodities. That is expected to help the central bank eventually reach its target of 2 percent inflation within the next two years.

"But apart from a 4.2 percent increase in utilities costs, many other prices remained lower in April, the Management and Coordination Agency reported. It said the overall CPI, including food and energy prices, fell 0.7 percent from a year earlier as costs for vegetables, education and entertainment, fell, but rose 0.3 percent from the month before. Core inflation, excluding food prices, also rose 0.3 percent from a year earlier.

"Japan's unemployment rate remained flat, at 4.1 percent, despite the government's insistence that Abe's policies are improving labor and wage conditions.

"Without a strong improvement in incomes, which have been declining, any recovery in the consumer spending needed to help boost demand and sustain the recovery will be short-lived, economists say.

"Wage increases need to be realized in the labor market," said Kenji Umetani of the Cabinet's Economic and Social Research Institute. "This increase will be realized only if the expectation of future income growth is strengthened and holds."

#21     May 31, 2013
  2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

#22     May 31, 2013
  3. pspr

pspr

Alas, the problem is as Romney stated, "There's 47% who will never vote for us."

#23     May 31, 2013
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

JGBs sure indicate a rise in inflation soon. Personally I believe the bond market more than the government reported propaganda.

[​IMG]

#24     May 31, 2013
  5. jem

jem

"The frontier question for research is the issue of causality," they said in their lengthy New York Times piece responding to Herndon.

"It looks like they should have thought a little harder about that frontier question three years ago."

Why can leftist economists figure this out but leftists agw "scientists" can not.

#25     May 31, 2013
  6. Me too but I don't hold out much hope.

First, people would have to actually know and understadn what's going on. The MSM insures that won't happen.

Second, they would have to care. Obama has showed us that class envy, racial voting and demagoguery count for more than facts, character or honesty.

#26     May 31, 2013
  7. jem

jem

I agree about the MSM... they really are a soviet style pravda and don't break ranks until the state turns on them.

They have become liberties biggest problem.

#27     May 31, 2013
  8. Ricter

Ricter

Unless of course they're reporting something you agree with.

#28     May 31, 2013
  9. jem

jem

baghdad bob ricter.

#29     May 31, 2013
  10. LEAPup

LEAPup

So true! And so sad as well. As I've said before, if someone told me twenty years ago where we'd be today, I'd think they were an escaped lunatic.:(

#30     May 31, 2013