Paul calls Newt a 'chicken hawk'

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Jan 4, 2012.

1. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71068.html

Ron Paul calls Newt Gingrich a 'chickenhawk'

Ron Paul came out swinging Wednesday against Newt Gingrich for calling him a dangerous candidate, dubbing Gingrich a chickenhawk who avoided the Vietnam War.

“I don’t want to fight a war that’s unconstitutional, and I’m the dangerous person? You know, when Newt Gingrich was called to service in the 1960s during the Vietnam era, guess what he thought about danger? He chickened out on that, he got deferments and didn’t even go,” Paul said on CNN later in the morning.

“So right now, he sends these young kids over there to endure the danger, and the kids coming back, the young people coming back and the ones in the military right now, they overwhelmingly support my campaign. We get twice as much support from active military personnel than all the other candidates put together. So, Newt Gingrich has no business talking about danger because he is putting other people in danger. Some people call that kind of a program a chickenhawk and I think he falls into that category,” Paul said.

Paul also said his third place showing in Iowa came from voting blocs — particularly young people where the “excitement is” — that will be essential to defeating President Barack Obama in 2012.

“If you’re looking to bringing new people in, the frustrated young people Obama had, you have to look at my campaign. That’s where the enthusiasm is,” Paul said on the “Today” show. “So I would say the Republicans would be very neglectful if they say you don’t need the independents, you don’t need the young people. That’s where the excitement is, and that’s where the changes are coming about, and that’s how you would have to beat Obama.So I think there were some very encouraging statistics.”

Paul said that while he’s energized by his Iowa results, he’s looking to do even better down the stretch.

“You always can do better.It inspires our people, and it inspires me to do better, but coming in third in essentially a very, very close race if you put the other two together, we’re actually in second place. They were tied for first. I think it’s doing very well to be in the money and getting an opportunity to go into New Hampshire with a good showing,” Paul said on “Today.”

Paul also flaunted the support he enjoyed among moderates in Iowa, suggesting in a later interview on Fox News that this will be helpful for him in New Hampshire next week.

“When you look at my votes, about a half of them were considered very conservative, but the other half of them were considered moderate,” he said. “And I think my position I hold for limited government across the board is very attractive across the board and in New Hampshire, there are a lot of independents.”

He added, “There are more registered independents than there are Republicans or Democrats. So we’re looking forward to New Hampshire.”

As for seeing himself in the Oval Office, Paul told “Today” that when he said “not really” earlier this week, his quote had been “taken a bit out of context.”

“I think the quote you’re using was taken a little bit out of context because obviously I’m running on issues, which are very important, but the best way to promote your issues is to win elections,” he said.

Paul also addressed challenges to his foreign policy approach. “I think it’s misconstrued to think I don’t want to deal with the world, because I do. I want to deal with it in a different fashion.”

2. The other chicken hawk

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/romney_sons_join_campaign_not_army/

Romney Sons Join Campaign, Not Army

Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney on Wednesday defended his five sons’ decision not to enlist in the military, saying they’re showing their support for the country by “helping me get elected.”

Romney, who did not serve in Vietnam due to his Mormon missionary work and a high draft lottery number, was asked the question by an anti-war activist after a speech in which he called for “a surge of support” for U.S. forces in Iraq.

3. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Obama failed to serve his country too. He was busy smoking pot, sniffing cocaine and receiving his Marxist indoctrination.

4. True,but Obama was against the Iraq war,ended the Iraq war,is ending Afghanistan next year while Romney and Newt said we should keep troops there ,still says the Iraq war was a good thing and cant wait to start a war with Iran

http://news.yahoo.com/iraq-pullout-signature-failure-obama-romney-203147930.html

Iraq pullout a "signature failure" for Obama: Romney

LITTLETON, New Hampshire (Reuters) - Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney on Thursday attacked U.S. President Barack Obama for a "signature failure" to keep some troops in Iraq to prevent the country falling back into sectarian conflict.

Just days after U.S. troops left Iraq, a wave of bombings killed at least 72 people in Baghdad on Thursday. The Shi'ite-led government is engulfed in a crisis that risks fracturing Iraq along sectarian and ethnic fault lines.

A consistent front-runner in polls of Republicans, Romney said he feared leaving Iraq without a stabilization force could put the hard-earned successes and victories there at risk.

"I hope that risk is not realized. I hope that we're able to see stability there but the president's failure to secure an agreement and maintain 10,000 to 30,000 troops in Iraq has to be one of his signature failures," he told Reuters.