Patterns that work in many instruments

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by tim888, Dec 6, 2011.

1. I think that one is 10K for unlimited use and they will sell only 50 with serial number.

I'm sure the typical 30% discount they usually offer will apply...:)

#11     Dec 17, 2011
  2. Wow. This is pretty simplistic for the price. It's a code generator driven from price bar logic...i.e. Close > Close[1] and Low < Low[1], etc.
    That is so simple to do manually.
    Complex systems are built from utilizing position, position size, etc. and current trade win/loss stats and sharpe ratio, etc.

#12     Dec 17, 2011
  3. ronblack

ronblack

Manually? You must be kidding of course. The code generator is the last step. Before that there is a search step.

It isn't as simple as you think or it may be simple for you, not for everyone else.

They provide the ingredients for developing more complex systems based on stats you specify.

Their search does not work with pre-programmed patterns.

#13     Dec 18, 2011
  4. I understand all of that. But I find this approach using bar patterns of OHLC less than optimal. I once created a successful Donchian trading system that somewhat used bar patterns. I think it only used the Close however.
    Equity curve went straight up....it was uncanny. Then I applied commissions.....and that resulted in a straight DOWN equity curve.

#14     Dec 18, 2011
  5. tim888

tim888

Installed the demo of the new version and I'm doing a few tests. This looks very interesting.

#15     Dec 19, 2011
  6. Four or five currency pairs , suggests they are too highly correlated.
    Same as top stocks, or top anything, you are wasting your time, any system that cannot immediately adjust for intrinsic variance, (aka, the human brain) will fail.

JMHO.

#16     Dec 19, 2011
  7. You are simply talking out of your as* trying to discourage people from doing something when you have no idea of what you are talking about and you don’t present any numbers. This is typical intellectual dishonesty of the typical moron who lurks on these threads.

FYI. A few correlations with EURUSD in the last 200 daily bars:

NZDUSD = 54.4%
    USDJPY = 53.8%
    USDCHF = -60.3%
    USDCAN = -94.4%

Source: http://www.forexticket.co.uk/en/tools/01-01-correlation

#17     Dec 20, 2011
  8. I upgraded to the new version of Price Action Lab a few days ago after it was released. This version can do searching for patterns that perform well in a number of instruments.

I selected the two pairs that are virtually anti-correlated, EURUSD and USDCAN, just to show you that there can be patterns in one pair that perform well in the other although there is no correlation, as a matter of fact there is negative correlation.

[​IMG]

The program found 45 distinct patterns that worked well in both pairs for 100 pips target and stop-loss.

#18     Dec 20, 2011
  9. Is there a logical reason, you repeatedly posted the same reply?

Numbers?
    Dude, you asked for "patterns" that work on many instruments.
    I am a technical analyst, and that's all, It's a hobby, I don't know about algorithms, or "testing", much to my detriment I'm sure.
    I cannot speak technical patters, nor can I code them. I'm really crap at that.
    But you should be aware, I have given away, for free, more remarkably great calls than anyone could ever code.
    Many of them, right here on ET. Millions worth.
    I'm just a putz loser who can read charts, and strategize-something many coders and grail seekers overlook.

I'm not trying to bust your balls, good luck with your endeavor, but I cannot code what I see, or know.
    Like I said, JMO, and good luck to you.

#19     Dec 21, 2011
  10. tim888

tim888

Good work...

#20     Jan 2, 2012