PATTERNS -- So These REALLY Work???

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by al c., Mar 16, 2003.

1. Maverick1

Maverick1

#61     Mar 21, 2003
  2. Maverick1

Maverick1

Al,

Thanks for your insights. I could not agree more with what you wrote. I was actually in the process of writing something up, but since you wrapped it up so well, I just let it go.

Indeed, I was struck by the 'fractal' nature of the setup in the S&P when the mini butterfly formed over the last couple of weeks. Thanks for posting the chart, it's well illustrated. I could feel that rally forming in my bones and when it did come, what a feeling! As you said, a beautiful setup.

I brought up the S&P precisely because the pattern seemed to be begging to be traded a couple of days ago but no one mentioned that on ET.

There's another one forming right now as Zbear pointed out. In my previous post I mentioned that I wouldn't be surprised if the market stalls here, but never advocated taking a short position. Saying that the market is likely (not absolutely with 100% bet the farm and go tapioca certainty) to stall does not translate to "I'm shorting here". As Zbear put it, I'm just looking forward to the pullback. Then the next leg and then we might have somethings that's tradable. If you're really aggressive you could trade the expected pullback with a tight stop. I'm on the sidelines for now, however. If it doesn't come, no worries, that'll setup the market with an even higher probability entry down the road.

Longer term I just can't wait for this rally to fizzle out.

Thanks Al,
    Looking forward to more insights,
    Mav.

#62     Mar 21, 2003
  3. opm8

opm8

okok, my apologies to anyone (and Scott Carney included) offended by my previous post. I was taking issue with the "bat" and "crab" patterns because they are seemingly modified Pesavento butterflies with odd (ie, non-standard 1.618, 1.27) extensions and retracements.

I very much respect the work of Pesavento and didn't like the idea of someone stealing his work. And no, I haven't read Carney's book but based on zbear's review it might be worth while.

Anyway, I'm glad there are other calm, intelligent members here discussing my favourite setups: Gartleys and butterflies. Everyone, please keep posting.

--opm8

#63     Mar 21, 2003
  4. ZBEAR

ZBEAR

No Prob opm.......no offense taken..

Just tryin' ta keep that mind open.....

...........................................................................................
    !st MARINES........1st Casualties of this War........Semper Fi

#64     Mar 21, 2003
  5. Maverick1

Maverick1

Opm,

I wish all ET members could have the positive spirit you displayed above! :)

I agree with you that the other patterns seem to be molded out of the original Pesaventos but I haven't read Carney's book either and accordingly cannot draw any conclusions yet. Not to mention that you have to trade a good sample size of them to even remotely approach a decent estimate of the real win/loss ratio. But as you said, the book might be worth it and I'll order it when I can.

Larry's 'Trading Diary' book is on its way and I'm looking forward to that!

Thanks,
    Maverick.

#65     Mar 21, 2003
  6. dottom

dottom

#66     Mar 21, 2003
  7. *bump*

#67     Mar 24, 2003
  8. al c.

al c.

Maverick, opm8, ZBEAR, Trader Kay, MACD

My apologies for not having done a better job in keeping up with this thread. I have been working a project which has taken up far more time than I had anticipated.

I am still very new at using Elite Trader and have never used anything like it before. So, it has yet to become a habit for me. I will work on doing a better job of keeping up in the future.

Thanks to all of you for your posts. Hopefully, for those of you which the subject of patterns strikes an interest, we can continue to share ideas and commentary.

The attached chart is a perfect example of why it can help for a trader to focus on 1 time frame. This 2 min. pattern showed up at a key support area on 30 and 60 min. charts. In this case the longer term support failed in a big way. This means that this small gartley not only nailed the high of day but, was followed by a 24 point drop.

al c.

• ac20.png
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
    #68     Mar 24, 2003
  9. ZBEAR

ZBEAR

Hi al c.

Nice chart.
    Am sending you a PM.

#69     Mar 24, 2003
  10. opm8

opm8

al c.,

I'm not sure I understand what the 2 min pattern is that you're refering to. Can you please explain the "key support areas?"

--opm8

#70     Mar 24, 2003