Pattern recognition

Discussion in 'Trading' started by John Paterson, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Don't tell anyone :cool:

#11     Jul 25, 2007
  2. Some interesting sites. Jeff Cooper has written several books on using patterns. Connors had a number of patterns on the VIX that seemed to work pretty well. I guess he wrote a book on them, and at oen time at least, they were explained on the TradingMarkets website. The Advanced GET software has pattern recognition features. Plenty of other packages do as well, although they require varying levels of programming skill. I recall that Ami Broker claims to be able to recognize divergences. If I was tasked with coming up with patterns to trade, I would start with divergences.

#12     Jul 25, 2007
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

search for surinotes he just came out with a pattern book unless he's your friend check out the book. Hopefully the fund gives you some education stipend.

#13     Jul 25, 2007
  4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I would urge you to check out the books from Thomas Bulkowski (the owner of the site). He has written some excellent books on chart patterns.

- Greg

#14     Jul 25, 2007
  5. did anyone else just see a bat pattern long on ES at 1512.00??
    I missed the 1512.00 entry . My first time with the bat....thanks for the link

#15     Jul 25, 2007
  6. ronblack

ronblack

John, I have been using pattern recognition to trade futures and equities for several years. The major shortcoming of these methods is that you need sufficient price history and thus you cannot trade relatively new issues.

There is a Metastock add-on by John Murphy for chart patterns. I also like Tredecision for neural net based pattern recognition

http://www.tradecision.com/

This is a fascinating program but you must learn how to use it first to get results.

Automatic Pattern Search software plays an integral part in my daily trading:

http://www.tradingpatterns.com/

This last program may appear simple but it is one of the most powerful tools in the market if you know how to use it.

I think you can learn more about pattern recognition by reading the manuals of some of these and other software programs than from any book out there.

Good luck with your new job at the fund. I'm sure they had a good reason to hire you besides your willingness to investigate pattern recognition applications.

Ron

#16     Jul 25, 2007
  7. Nice Call !! (as long as you covered at 1:30 pm)

#17     Jul 25, 2007
  8. 2006

I'm an expert at recognizing the T&A pattern.

#18     Jul 25, 2007
  9. not trying to be mean or anything but..shouldn't we be asking you for this?

#19     Jul 25, 2007
  10. patterns within the TS and L2 environment :

www.yourika.com

the developer here is constantly tweaking and improving-- as the market changes so does the algos and predictive logic engines--plus he is open to your ideas. highly recommended from the surfshack.

surf

#20     Jul 25, 2007