Pattern Recognition -- Any Good?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by MACD, Jan 23, 2020.

1. MACD

MACD

This is one of the most discussed subjects -- resulting in many posts on numerous trading threads.

Just ran this search:
    upload_2020-1-23_14-13-3.png upload_2020-1-23_14-13-3.png

2. MACD

MACD

NOTE; 91 PAGES for the search results.

3. MACD

MACD

The point is that most traders -- spend lots of time determining whether or not Pattern Recognition is the answer to Profitable Trading. I have a strong opinion but interested in what others believe.

murray t turtle likes this.
  4. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Forget all that. You have been at this since 2002...Are you telling us that you have not recognized any patterns that yield a positive result? Ironically, MACD in context with PA has yielded my most positive results...with the biggest drawdown being my inability to sit on my hands and let the patterns play out.

5. MACD

MACD

Are you wasting your time by finding tradeable patterns and what then is a tradeable pattern?

6. MACD

MACD

Good post @Big AAPL -- Just now setting up what I hope will be a beneficial thread. Thanks...

7. MACD

MACD

Yes I have been trading for a long time as @Big AAPL has pointed out.

So, why So Much Interest in Pattern Recognition. Any Value to Traders. Do most use and believe it is helpful?

8. MACD

MACD

Threads and posts galore regarding what platform or software to use and what is best to find Patterns..

Many "Trade Gurus", Authors on Trading, Courses, Mentors and Schools all have a belief in Pattern Recognition as perhaps a Holy Grail necessary to become consistently Profitable. Evidence is the search results I posted (Only a Partial Post on this Subject -- illustrating the Vast interest is Pattern Recognition for Trading)

9. MACD

MACD

Several schools of thought and belief; "Markets are random and Patterns are just Figments of the viewer's bias"
    Vs. "Markets are Predictable based on patterns repeating -- thereby having great value in trading profitably"

10. %%
    Maybe able to find some good patterns in an uptrending bull market....................................................................................

#10     Jan 23, 2020