Path to mastery

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by qlai, Nov 5, 2020.

1. qlai

qlai

“What separates masters from others is often something surprisingly simple. Whenever we learn a skill, we frequently reach a point of frustration — what we are learning seems beyond our capabilities. Giving in to these feelings, we unconsciously quit on ourselves before we actually give up…

“The difference is not simply a matter of determination, but more of trust and faith. Many of those who succeed in life have had the experience in their youth of having mastered some skill — a sport or game, a musical instrument, a foreign language, and so on. Buried in their minds is the sensation of overcoming their frustrations and entering a cycle of accelerated returns. In moments of doubt in the present, the memory of the past experience rises to the surface. Filled with trust in the process, they trudge on well past the point at which others slow down or mentally quit.

“When it comes to mastering a skill, time is the magic ingredient. Assuming your practice proceeds at a steady level, over days and weeks certain elements of the skill become hardwired. Slowly, the entire skill becomes internalized, part of your nervous system. The mind is no longer mired in the details, but can see the larger picture. It is a miraculous sensation and practice will lead you to that point, no matter the talent level you are born with.

“The only real impediment to this is yourself and your emotions — boredom, panic, frustration, insecurity. You cannot suppress such emotions — they are normal to the process and are experienced by everyone, including Masters. What you can do is have faith in the process. The boredom will go away once you enter the cycle. The panic disappears after repeated exposure. The frustration is a sign of progress — a signal that your mind is processing complexity and requires more practice. The insecurities will transform into their opposites when you gain mastery. Trusting this will all happen, you will allow the natural learning process to move forward, and everything else will fall into place.”

- Robert Greene, Mastery

2. Nobert

Nobert

Listened to it as audio v, also this one :

48 Laws of Power

Almost bought Laws of Human nature as well, but, i think that authors at such pace, kinda burn out & start to repeat themselfs.
    (maybe, influenced by financial reasons)

10 000 hours they say, for a mastery level.

What catches the eye, is that there was, maybe ~5 times in this game, where you think to yourself :
    ,,Is there anything else to learn / everything seems frozen ?"
    (Dunning Kruger strong in this one...)

And then a hour or a day later - a major breaktrough happens.

Yes, faith & believe is needed, specially in the first year or two, but later on it becomes -

il do it, or die.

timestamped

3. Dazz

Dazz

pure baloney.

4. Dazz

Dazz

invite me to your next paperback book sale - this one is too old.

qlai likes this.
  5. qlai

qlai

Because you gave up? Do you have anything useful to say?

CDoubleUU and Nobert like this.
  6. %%
    Good points/dont be a quitter as a general rule; but time is NOT a magic ingredient.
    And common sense helps,B Gates quit college for MSFT/Zuckerberg for FB.
    Glad I quit trading TZA + ES /better things to trade/invest in...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Nobert likes this.
  7. Dazz

Dazz

these books on mastery, motivation, self-realization, reaching your zenith, habits of the successful etc. come out ever year by the hordes; you are one of but hundreds so forgive me if I am not impressed.

SimpleMeLike and ChipShotTrader like this.
  8. qlai

qlai

Well, what motivates you then?

9. "faster than what? by what measurement? by what units? when?" By CASH...

Are you really rich? I certainly am.

Would you like your pen back??? You don't want to go that way dude, trust me.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  10. Dazz

Dazz

I think there is a much higher standard than mastery (what ever that is) or wealth or power or the seven summits stuff; it is variation in extreme skew in human intelligence as the concept below illustrates:
    "Over 100 billion humans lived on the earth since they have arrived 100 thousand years ago. However, most of the fundamental knowledge they have gained from fire to fusion over this time period came from an incomprehensibly few number of people, perhaps as few as 100. This is a hard constraint for humans to advance knowledge as it depends very much on the arrival of a unique individual, perhaps in a few generations. Increase in abstract and fundamental knowledge does not seem to depend on anything else except the presence of that special individual who propels humanity across a discontinuity."

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    #10     Nov 7, 2020
    CDoubleUU likes this.