Path to be a professional trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by JaredVennett, Oct 12, 2019.

1. %%
    OK; did you even read all of his wiki info?? 6 year as a hedge fund analyst?? May not be a trader @ all; most of them do not.Sorry i haven't had time to read his book; i prefer trading/investment books/info.....................................................................

#11     Oct 16, 2019
  2. Uhhh, OK. Guys, I just said that a desk trading FX options, EM, and rates sounded like investment banking. Also, I said they like to hire guys like Sal Khan, guys that have hardcore qualifications (not just a CFA and no name school). I never said Sal worked in banking or was even a trader.

All I said was that assuming he really wants to trade FX options, EM and rates on a desk then he is gonna need real qualifications. I also said that there are other (easier) ways to become a trader. Useless info? Hardly.

#12     Oct 16, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. raVar

raVar

I'm a Principal in a few Trading Firms (Both Majority and Minority)

I would underscore almost everything that Guru stated. Almost every single word.

We're not looking for anyone ... well ... for all of those reasons.

Something you have to understand about this industry at the moment? It's not an industry where someone goes to "get a job". It's not like other industries where you go 'get an entry level job' and 'work your way up'. It just doesn't work that way anymore. Well, maybe for a few (of the many) Ivy Leaguers that are in well connected families throughout the country. They may have someone throw them a bone in a Firm or two. For the rest of us slobs? LOL. We have to make our own way.

Finance is the epitome of "the race to zero".

Anymore? If one 'wants to be in Finance'? That's fine. You go out, and you create the legal structure for yourself ... you grab some partners because you've developed contacts over a decade or two ... and you get to work. You outsource (at least we do) your Accounting for your firm. One You get the appropriate licenses you want to do. You may have to oursource your Legal Consulting. Us? We made one of my buddies, that also happens to be a Lawyer, a Partner, and away we go.

That assuming, that you have trading skill, or some other skill to contribute (Like accounting or legal) to your partners.

And you don't need many people, or Partners. One of my Trading Interests is brand new. We hope to scale it up large.

We know guys running 5 Billion in Assets ... and they have F I V E guys working for them.

Five.

Gotta love technology.

If you are interested, I had some posts in this thread, that sort of go through the path, and what one needs to think about, if they want to be in Finance: https://www.elitetrader.com/et/thre...essful-day-trading.335523/page-8#post-4932669

#13     Oct 17, 2019
    guru likes this.