Patenting a Superior Trading System

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Ripley, Apr 11, 2012.

1. I have developed a Spectacular Proprietary Trading System (SPTS) that quantifies the classic economic risk/return profile with a higher degree of certainty and if I make this information public, it is a sure Nobel Prize in Economics.

But, I want to keep it as private information and use it as a marketing device for my money management firm. What exactly should I do, in terms of patents and trademarking etc to be able to use some of the system (the name and the summary of what it does) in my marketing for my investment firm.

Any thoughts or insights on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lornz

Lornz

Seek professional help as soon as possible!

I've seen a few of your posts, and it usually doesn't end well for people like you.

I urge you to seek help before it's too late!

3. OK. While I can't believe that anyone that has their own money management firm could be so ignorant about the patent system, I will take the bite and answer.

The patent system is a public declaration of your claim to a novel idea. By its very nature, it requires you to reveal the details of your idea.

So if you don't want people to trade your system, then don't tell anyone. And its much cheaper than filing a patent, as keeping a secret costs you nothing.

You can of course trademark the name of anything. For example, MarketProfile is a registered trademark of the CBOT.

And believe it or not, it you put a little TM next the term Spectacular Proprietary Trading System, you are making a common law claim that you invented the term and this can help you can prevent others from using it. That's assuming no one else has ever used the term-which I doubt.

Good luck Ripely.You're going to need it.

Runningbear

4. The name isn't exactly Spectacular Proprietary Trading System (SPTS); but the system/name is pretty spectacular if you ask me.

5. Bob111

Bob111

6. Ripley

come now, are you so stupid that you believe patent can prevent ME from trading your strategy in my own home, with my broker

who is gonna check me

who is gonna prove it

who is gonna ANYTHING

what is this BS amateur hour on ET :D

7. "Trade secret" means you do not patent anything. The marketing of your investment firm is its track record.

8. Bob111

Bob111

---I have developed a Spectacular Proprietary Trading System (SPTS) that quantifies the classic economic risk/return profile with a higher degree of certainty and if I make this information public, it is a sure Nobel Prize in Economics.----

then you should know how the patent works. it's a lengthy and fairly expensive process that would protect your "know how" in country where you filed. for 20 years(USA). as been mentioned above-it will not protect you,from me,doing same thing either from my basement in USA or someone else, doing same from China. if you making 50% YTD then imo you don't need any marketing. just like another ET poster in my link in previous post-you would own all the money in the world just in few years. just keep compounding. why do you need any marketing?

9. It is not really a trading system. It is an EQUATION that quantifies the risk/return profile a lot better than other Nobel Prize winning formulas that are out there. Of course it can help you with your trading, but it is of value only in the right hands who knows what to do with it.

#10     Apr 12, 2012